Chapter 35: fish in a barrel

Adrianna POV

I felt odd, not being on four legs. My movements were quick and cat-like, yet I could still feel my dragon side pushing through. I was scared I was loosing control. My anger was brought out to easily, even though I used to keep a lid on it. It felt like these days, I had unlocked a beast from its dark, dingy cage. I felt better wearing clothes again, but at the same time it felt odd. I made a metal note, not to stay shifted for that long again. It had made the pain worse, as the shards' cage faltered for a split second longer. IT Was a sickening feeling, having an object slowly, but surely making its way to my heart. I could still feel the phantom shard moving towards my heart, pushing through muscle and braking bones.

I was quit embarrassed at my little 'show' from before. I didn't know what had taken over me. I lent over the boats side, staring down into the dark murky water. My imagination told of mermaids and other sea creatures just below the surface, even though I knew these waters were too uplifted to sustain life. We sailed across the black lake, gliding through the mist like ghosts. Out of the frog, a tall shape loomed. I squinted, only to cry out as I realised it was a large stone, protruding out of the water like a glacier. Bofur must had seen it too, because he began to shout.

"Watch out!"

Bard, ( who's name I had learnt from bilbo) guided us smoothly past the stones jutting out of the water like the backs of walker camels. I could tell bard knew this lake like his own reflection. I tried to relax a bit, looking back down into the water.

" What are you trying to do? Drown us?" Thorin snapped, marching up to the tall man, bard. But bard measly laughed.

" I was born and bred on these waters, Master Dwarf. If I wanted to drown you, I would not do it here." That didn't exactly put me at ease, but it didn't sound like a complete threat either.

"Oh, I've had enough of this lippy lake-man. I say we throw him over the side and be done with him." Balin growled to the dwarves around him, acting like a sulking child. So were the rest of them!

" Oh, Bard. He's name's Bard." Bilbo piped in, glad to be of 'servos '.

"How do you know?" Dwalin snapped, turning towards Bilbo.I frowned, the dwarves were getting my angry the closer we get to the mountain, to their home.

" Uh...I asked him." Bilbo shrugged, as if oblivious to e fact Dwalin could crush him like a bug. Thankfully, for bilbos sake and my sanity, dwalin backed away, grumbling about hating the 'paddle headed, fish catching, good for nothing human'. Dwalin and Balin some softly to each other, so I zoned out of their convocation. Balin was counting all of our coins, before frowning and turning about to us.

" Come on, now, lads. Turn out your pockets." Balin said sternly. The dwarves all had a piece of gold they had kept! Some more then others.

" How do we know he won't betray us?" Dwalin complained once more.

" We don't." Thorin told him ominously. Once Balin counted the coins again, a worried look came upon his old face.

"There's um...just a wee problem. We're ten coins short." Balin looked to Thorin. I could see how they respected him. Thorin, however, turned to Gloin.

"Gloin, come on. Give us what you have." Thorin sighed, looking at Gloin with a stern look. Gloin gasped as if he had just been amused of an unthinkable act.

"Don't look to me. I have been bled dry by this venture! What have I seen for my investment? Naught but misery and grief and..."

'Lierrrr' something hissed in my mind. I noticed all the dwarves had gone pale and as quiet as a mouse. I looked behind me and realised why. The lonely mountain towered above us, like a beacon of hope...or death.