Chapter 11 : dreamless slumber

* DREAM*

"*Adi!*"I heard my brother calling for me in the dark wood , in our native tongue.

I span round and sprinted in his direction.

Suddenly I smelt something burning , and I slowed down , afraid of what I was going to see.

Then Bain called for me again , his voice sounding frightened.

I snapped out of it and ran towards the burning hut in the middle of the clearing in front of me.

My eye widened as I ran past the burning piles of bodies.

I had to find Bain, I had to help him.

I got to the burning hut and tried to open the door , but it wouldn't budge.

Once again Bain called for me except now it he was screaming.

"* ADI ! ADI ! ADI HELP ME!*" he screamed . I slammed my whole body against the burning door , over and over untill the wood gave way and I stumbled into the icy room.

The flames may have been outside , but in this hut , it was all ice. Tables , chairs , cups and plates all were covered in ice. The floor hurt my bare feet to walk on. I looked down and realised I was wearing my white bloody dress from the day Bain and my mother were murdered.

I was now shaking uncontrollably from the cold, when a thought struck me.

Bain.

I looked up and around the room frantically. He wasn't here. Suddenly a blaze started up in the far corner. I looked towards it and silently screamed. There stood Bain's headless body , burning. His once soft skin was bloody and gooey , and peeling off in large flakes. Horrified , i tried to back up as his headless body took a shaky step forward.

But I couldn't move , I was frozen , like everything else In this room except Bain.

Where his head should have been , blood poured from an open wound. I could see the arteries gushing with blood. I didn't know where his haunting voice was coming from , but it sounded to be emanating from the house itself.

I listened to the sad nursery song he sang:

Oh no , what should we do.

Every one is burning.

Too many dead.

I've lost my head.

I'll never wake up in the morning.

Dalriel , Dalriel , Dalriel is mourning.

The reckoner of souls.

Always condones.

Do not think to anger him.

If you don't , follow his whim.

The end to your life , shall be quite grim!

(I made this rhyme , sorry about it being quite ....creepy)

He sang it over and over , until it was engrained in my mind. Tears were falling down my frozen cheeks. I smelt my brothers burning flesh and nearly threw up. Suddenly , the headless burning corpse went limp and fell to the floor at my feet. Behind him , i saw a hooded figure . I knew immediately who it was.

"Dalriel" I whispered , the angelic name , whilst he looked at me.

I couldn't see his face , because of his long ratty black cloak, but I could tell he had muscles.

He wore black leather boots and trousers , but no shirt. His black cloak covered his face , but two slits in the back of it allowed his huge black leathery wings to be free ,and at his hip hung a long sword , with intricate details on it.

As I watched him, he open his massive wings wide. The movement fanned the flames , making it pick up and start melting the ice and consuming the hut at an alarming rate. Dalriel suddenly leapt into the air , beating his vast wings and crashing through the burning roof and into the sky.

As fire closed in , I cradled Bain corpse as I could now move. I still shook as if it was ice slowly creeping towards me. Suddenly , Bain's headless corpse jumped to life and started screaming at me , making me cover my ears.

"YOU SHOULD BE BURNING , YOU SHOULD BE BURNING! YOU WILL BE PUNISHED! WE'RE DEAD

BECAUSE OF Y-"

****

I sat bolt up right , shaking uncontrollably. That was one of the worst night terrors I'd had in a while.

Bain's mad screams echoed in my mind as well as the smell of his burning flesh . I silently cried , my small frame shaking. I suddenly felt a hand on my shoulder. I snapped my head up to see Thorin , with a concerned look on his face.

I look at him, then threw myself at him , sobbing quietly into his neck.

Bain's words echoed in my head as Thorin cradled my head , shocked by my appearance.

' ITS YOUR FAULT WE'RE DEAD , YOUR FAULT !'

He stroked my long hair , and whispered soothing things into my ear.

I slowly calmed down as Thorin rocked us back and forth.

He stayed quiet , and didn't ask any questions , which I was glad of. I couldn't of spoken of the terrible things I had seen. I felt Thorin gently grab a thick piece of my hair from the nape of my neck and plat it so it matched his own. The soothing sensation slowly sent me back to dreamless sleep , still held against Thorin's chest.

~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~