Chapter 18 : thank you , my friend

Adrianna POV

I was making my way back to my room , my mind heavy with what had happened. I silently walked in the shadows , my shoulders slouched and my eyes dull. Then I heard Thorin's voice as I past the great hall. Inside , stood Gandalf , Elrond , Thorin , Balin and Bilbo.

'Curious' I thought ' what are they doing?'

I moved into a nearby shadow and listened.

"Our business is no concern of elves." Thorin snarled.

"For goodness sake, Thorin, show him the map."Gandalf yelled , throwing his hands up in frustration.

"It is the legacy of my people; it is mine to protect, as are its secrets." Thorin growled , stepping forward in challenge.

"Save me from the stubbornness of Dwarves. Your pride will be your downfall. You stand here in the presence of one of the few in Middle-earth who can read that map. Show it to Lord Elrond." Gandalf demanded , rolling his eyes.

I watched as Thorin thought quietly for a few seconds as everyone watched him. He then began to hand the Map to Elrond , but Balin went to stop him.

"Thorin, no!" He shouted.

Thorin gently brushed Balin aside and handed Elrond the map. Elrond looked at it.

"Erebor. What is your interest in this map?" Elrond murmured , perplexed.

Thorin was about to speak, but Gandalf interrupted him.

"It's mainly academic. As you know, this sort of artifact sometimes contains hidden text. You still read Ancient Dwarvish, do you not?" Gandalf asked.

Elrond walked away a few paces , looking intently at the map. Moonlight hit the map , and Elrond's face changed

"Cirth Ithil ( Moon runes)" Elrond murmurs.

"Of course " I whisper to myself. Elrond's eyes flickered to mine , but to my surprise , he didn't reveal me.

"Moon runes. Of course. An easy thing to miss." Gandalf confirmed , nodding his head.

"Well in this case, that is true; Moon runes can only be read by the light of a moon with the same shape and season as the day on which they were written." Elrond told them , turning from me and towards the small group.

"Can you read them? Thorin asked , stepping forward.

Elrond lead them all to an open balcony area outside, on the side of a cliff, with waterfalls all around. The moon was behind some clouds as they walked towards a large crystalline table , I followed close behind , keeping to the shadows.

"These runes were written on a Midsummer's Eve by the light of a crescent moon nearly two hundred years ago. It would seem you were meant to come to Rivendell. Fate is with you, Thorin Oakenshield; the same moon shines upon us tonight." Elrond murmured , smirking at the map as he laid it on the table.

The clouds that had previously been covering the moon shifted , allowing the moon light to hit the crystalline table. The ancient runes must have become visible , as Elrond translated them out loud.

"Stand by the gray stone when the thrush knocks, and the setting sun with the last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the keyhole." Elrond read.

"Durin's Day?" Bilbo asked , confused.

"It is the dwarves' new year, when the last moon of autumn and the first sun of winter appear in the sky together." Gandalf clarified.

"This is ill news. Summer is passing. Durin's Day will soon be upon us." Thorin muttered solemnly.

"We still have time." Balin said reassuringly , placing a hand on Thorins shoulder.

"Time? For what?" Bilbo said , trying to remind them Elrond was there.

Sadly they didn't realise.

"To find the entrance. We have to be standing at exactly the right spot at exactly the right time. Then, and only then, can the door be opened." Balin said ,looking to bilbo.

'Well , the dragon's out of the bag now , well done!' I thought.

"So this is your purpose, to enter the Mountain." Elrond murmured knowingly.

"What of it?" Thorin snapped , narrowing his eyes.

"There are some who would not deem it wise." Elrond replied , his voice angered.

Thorin took back the map gruffly and walked away , closely followed by Balin and bilbo.

"Who do you mean?" Gandalf said ,turning to Elrond.

"You are not the only guardian to stand watch over Middle-earth." Elrond replied , looking Gandalf in the eye.Gandalf slowly walked away , deep in thought.

"Please join me , Adrianna" Elrond spoke suddenly , not turning from the view of mountain side.

I slowly walked from my shadow to stand beside Elrond , also looking at the view.

" I'm profoundly sorry for listening in on your convocation. Please forgive me my Lord" I whispered , looking down at my feet.

To my surprise , Elrond started to laugh.

"My friend , I have not called you out of your hiding place to confront you! I merely wanted to ask if you were alright. You left the food hall in quite the hurry. I assure you , your violin was unharmed. It awaits you in your chambers." Elrond chuckled , patting my back.

"If I recall correctly , that is the first time you have addressed me as 'my Lord'! I was beginning to think my tittle was renounced! " he laughed , making me smile.

"In my eyes , Elrond , you shall always be my friend first and my 'Lord' later!" I laughed , looking up at the stars.

" You think of them often , do you not?" Elrond asked quietly. I knew he was referring to my deceased family. I nodded silently , closing my eyes at the pain admitting it caused.

" May I ask what happened before, when you were playing that beautiful song?" Elrond asked softly , looking at me and smiling sadly.

I took a deep breath.

"Memories" I answered simply , not bothering to elaborate.

Thankfully , Elrond just nodded and turned back to the view.

" I believe your company went out and hunted some meat. I think you'd better join them before it's all gone. I know you where never fond of carrots like myself" he said in a lighter tone , making my smile slightly. I turned to leave.

"Thank you my friend , after all you have done for me , I hope to one day repay you" I said softly before walking out of the hall in search of my company.

~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~

:) another chapter , Rivendell will be out the way soon and our adventure will continue!

Hope you like it , as much as I like writing it. Vote , comment I'd love to hear what you think ! Have a nice day/night ;) x