Chapter 10 : sticks and stones

Adrianna POV

I was just finishing cleaning Tirth ( my sword ) when bilbo sat down beside me.
The rest of the company was asleep , and I had volunteered to take first watch , I shouldn't sleep tonight.

"Can I help you bilbo ?" I asked politely , inspecting my sword. He was silent for a moment longer before he spoke.

"Can you teach me how to use a sword? " he asked hopefully. I froze, remembering when Bain asked me the exact same thing. I sighed and closed my eyes.

"Sure , why not" I said , putting aside , my now clean weapons. I stood , putting out a hand to bilbo which he accepted. I walked a little away from the fire and stood in a clearing , calculating how much space we would need. Bilbo followed me , his expression excited.
I walked over to a close by tree and snapped off two sticks that we would use as substitute swords. I tossed one to bilbo , who scrabbled to catch it , as I twirled my own getting the feel of balance. Then I faced a nervous bilbo.

"Right , and you have never held a sword in your life ?" I asked , assessing what to teach the hobbit first.
He shook his head and confirmed my suspicion. I sighed again and twirled my stick .

"Okay there are a few points to remember: keep moving , always move your feet , don't let your opponent corner you or your done for. Keep control of where you and your opponent is standing. Secondly , keep breathing , no I don't mean don't die , but no , don't do that ethier. I mean breath , keep your self calm and collected . Rush and you will make a mistake. Never , ever give your opponent a chance to sneak up on you , always be on guard and aware of you surroundings." I said , pausing to let him process the information. Whilst he did that , I looked at his stance. It wasn't bad , but it wasn't correct either.
For a sword fight , it was sloppy. I frowned , that would have to change.

"Okay , your standing way to high. Bend your knees slightly...and move your legs apart" I said , grabbing his shoulders and moving his feet apart with my foot. Once satisfied , I nodded and took a step back.

"You need to stand in a half turn , and remember to keep you shoulders strong and head up. Don't be looking at the ground , or looking up at the sky ; that's a great way of getting beheaded." I said cheerfully , walking back over to my spot. I stretched slightly , then turned to bilbo. He stood a little awkwardly , but he would loosen up once we began. I smirked , the lunged forward, taking bilbo by surprise. He leapt back , making me miss. I smiled at him.

"Good don't stop moving , follow your intuition!" I said , careful not to wake the others.
I went for him again , and anticipated his side step. I softly whacked his chest , making his jump.

"Your opponent is not a blind , old man , you will have to work harder then that to fool me" I chuckled , and smirked as I saw bilbo face shift determinedly. I wouldn't give this my all , I wanted him to feel confident.
I started to circle him again, watching as he slowly moved to face me.

"Remember , control where we both walk , the one who controls the area shall conquer the enemy ." I said , shifting my right foot forward lightly , ready to lung. I watched as bilbos eyes flickered to the movement then back to me. Then I lunged. To my surprise , so did bilbo . He countered my attack and then side stepped me , getting behind me in one movement. I smiled.

"Yes , now your getting it. Your light-footedness will come in handy , use your small size to confuse your enemy." I said , deciding to pick up the pace as bilbo seemed to be getting it.
I lunged forward , then turned it into a diagonal trust. Bilbo panicked at leapt out the way , but I went after him. I thrust forward again , then swiped. I allowed bilbo to counter my attack then stab my stomach with his make shift sword.I smiled and dipped my head to bilbo. Placing a hand behind my back in swirling my stick.

"Very , very good bilbo ,work on your blocks . But your foot work was exceptional for a first timer. Hobbits are very good on their feet it seems " I said , earning a proud smile off bilbo.
After that , we chucked the sticks and bilbo went to bed , whilst I woke the next watchmen , and bravely attempted sleep myself. What a mistake that was...

~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~