he gets down on one knee

fifteenth.july.twenty-twenty seven

emalee was holding up the sixth dress against my body tonight, "i like the red one with the lace neckline, why can't i just wear that?" i pleaded with her, finn wanted to take me out for a nice dinner which i happily obliged to, who would turn down a fancy dinner?

"oh my god i feel like your mum, but no you always moan about that one, it gets 'too tight' when you bloat after you eat." she said with a shrug, picking up a floor length gown that looked like something out of cinderella.

"i would like to keep my face intact tonight, i would trip over something like that way more times than i can count." she nodded and put it back down, sighing again before her eyes widened.
"i saw the perfect dress in a little place down the road, we need to go and get it." she pretty much ran out the door and lead me to the shop. it was a little boutique-style place. she led me straight to the dress that she thought was perfect; it was black, figure hugging and had a high neck and cold shoulders, the front came down to above my knee and at the back it reached mid calves. 

we picked up a few sizes and went straight to the changing rooms to try it on, "you look amazing." she squealed before pushing me back into the cubicle, rushing me to take it off so she can go home and do my make-up.

"why are you making such a big deal out of tonight? it's just a date we've gone on tons before." she was standing in front of my in the living room, acting giddy like a mother when her child goes to prom.
"because it is special now hurry the fuck up put your clothes on so i can do your makeup." she ordered, spinning me around to zip the back of the dress up; and pretty much pushing me into the chair before attacking my face with various brushes.

"what time are we even going out?" i questioned and she looked at her phone, "you have three quarters of an hour so by the time i finish putting these goddamn eyelashes on you'll have a while to just chill." i nodded and allowed her to continue beating my face.

-

a short while later three sharp knocks on the door startled me, emalee ushered me out of the room and straightened my dress. i opened the door and saw finn standing there. his eyes widened at the sight of me and i felt my cheeks go red.

"you look beautiful." he said with a happy smile. i returned it and looked down at his black suit while taking his hand, it had tiny detailing in navy blue that were subtle but definitely there. "you look amazing, black is your colour." 

he laughed and gestured to my dress, "yours too by the looks of it, should we get going?" i smiled and looked him in the eyes. "lead the way."
he nodded and led me down the short steps from my house to the road, opening and closing his car door for me.

"so where are we going?" i asked and he took my hand, grasping it over the console separating our seats.

"that is a surprise, but i know you'll love it." was his only response, causing me to sigh and sit back in the seat, "i hate surprises but for you i'll deal with it."

"and we're here." he stopped outside an elegant restaurant that i recognised. he turned to me with a cheesy smile on his face and i realised this is where we told everybody that we were together, our first meal out as an 'official couple'.

"this might be the most thoughtful thing anyone has ever done for me." i stated. he grinned at me again, his eyes twinkling.
"we have a reservation on the balcony of the penthouse, we're staying there tonight too." my eyes widened and i looked up at the restaurant, sure enough on top of it were hotel rooms. i hadn't noticed that before.

"i don't have any clothes?" i realised but he shook his head before telling me he bought ones from home, taking my hand and leading me to the room for us to eat.

-

after the deserts were brought out i began to wonder again what this night was all about. "first of all, this chocolate cake is amazing its making my insides explode. second why is tonight so special?"
he had been bouncing his leg the whole night and that was something he only did when he was nervous. his nerves had a domino effect and put me slightly on edge the whole night.

"well i was going to do this later on in the night but i may as well do it now," he began messing around with his pocket which made my heart rate increase.

"cara meadows; you have been my smart, beautiful, talented, funny, amazing best friend and girlfriend for six years in total now and i have loved every single second of it. i am honoured to be with someone like you for so long. i don't know why you stuck with me after i massively fucked up at the start there; but you are the only person i can picture staying with for the rest of my life. i had a feeling you was a special one when i saw you in the audition room and i was right. you're the only person i need, i want to be with you forever cara. that is why i'm asking, will you marry me?"

i had to wipe the tears that fell, i took his hands that were holding the box as he stood up. "of course finn, there was no way i would ever say no." i held out my shaking hands for him to put the ring on and his were just as bad. we were both in shock, shocked at the fact we cemented our future together.

he pulled me close to him before he picked me up and span me around, "we're getting married." he said in shock as he looked into my eyes.

"that we are finn wolfhard, we are going to get married." was my only response, i studied the face that i have loved since i was 15 before leaning in to kiss him. my lips tingled like the first time we kissed, and it was like i was back to being a teenager.

when i first met the love of my life.