Chapter 19

A knock bangs on the door, pulling me from my thoughts. I stand abruptly, adjusting my sweats and fixing my oversized hoodie.

"Who is it?" I feel like I'm at home, as if someone just rang the doorbell. No one in college fucking asks who is it.

I don't receive a response, not did I expect one, but I open the door anyway. In front of me, is Zayn, leaning against the door frame, draped in all black. It reminds me of when I first met him, and how I assumed he never saw a color pallet before.

"Hi." He smiles shyly, glancing down at me.

"Hi?" I giggle, and step out of the doorway allowing him to step in. "What are you doing here?"

"We, are going to a party tonight." He throws himself on my bed, placing his hands behind his head. "I figured with all the studying you've been doing, it'd be good for you to have a night out and enjoy yourself."

"How thoughtful." I roll my eyes at his attempt. The thing about college parties is that there will always be alcohol, no matter what. And, alcohol isn't exactly my best friend. Zayn stares at me, puzzled.

"What?" His stare almost makes me want to shy away from him.

"Get dressed maybe?" He stands from my bed and makes his way over to me, tucking my hair behind my ear.

"Okay, I'll go into the bathroom then." As I walk away, I notice he's following behind me.
"And you're staying here." Placing my hand against his chest, I wait for him to make his way back to my bed. He holds his hands up in defeat, slowly backing away.

--

"Absolutely fucking not." Zayn spits, when I walk out of the bathroom. I threw on a fitted, vibrant red dress that stops just above my knee and patten leather black heels, leaving my long black hair to fall over my shoulders. He stares at me with such lust but disgust at the same time.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" I snap him out of his daze.

"Well, you look hot as fuck, but the whole school is going to see you at this party. If you're dressed like that, I can't trust anyone with you. Or myself." His voice breaks with the last two words, and I can't help but feel proud of myself. I instill this feeling in him, only me.

"Fine, I'll change. But don't think I'll never wear this again." I point my finger at him.

"If you can retrieve it from the flames I'll light to it, then sure." He shrugs, pulling out his phone.

"You're a dick."

"Tell me something I don't know. Now please, change." He laughs, spinning me around.

--

After twenty minutes of endless wardrobe changes, I finally settled on a casual outfit. My dark washed skinny jeans and black pullover sweater, clash with my red converse. Zayn looks much more pleased with my choice, probably more pleased with my body being completely covered.

"Perfect! Now let's go." His features light up when he sees me, and he reaches for my hand.

"The only thing you're getting to know are his lips El." Ashley's voice echoes in my head, and I slide my hand into my back pocket.

I look up at him, and see the hurt plastered on his face, but he tries so hard to mask it. We make our way down the hall, and he stuffs his hands in his jacket pockets. The tension is so thick,mi never knew how stuffy this hallway actually was.

"Ella, I need you to promise me something." He finally speaks up, as I jump into the passenger seat of his car.

"What?"

"I need you to stay with me tonight. I know these people, and they're no good. They'll offer you drinks, drugs, and whatever the hell else they can create. But you, you can't get close to any of them." His words are rushed, and the freezing weather outside causes a frost to escape his lips.

"I promise." I whisper, watching a white cloud form between us. He nods, and turns to start the car. The ride is silent between us, a faint tune of Iron Maiden playing on the stereo.

--

We pull up to the huge house, and I appreciate the sense of home it reminds me of. My house used to look just like this. And although, the people inside that house were a messed up family, broken really never searching to be fixed, I still loved that house. The building I'm looking at now, is structured with wood. All I can make out is a light paint as the yellow glow of the lights and the pitch black sky cast out everything else. The music booms, and Zayn laces his fingers between mine, gripping tightly.

I turn to him, giving him a look clearly saying let go. Yet he returns a glare of dominance, only telling me to grip his hand tighter. I remain silent, and take a hint. Zayn leads me into the house, and the music makes my head pound.

I can't even hear myself think.

"Malik! Over here mate!" I turn my head, and see a big group of guys standing by the fireplace, all sipping out of red cups. Zayn looks down at me, and I nod in assurance.

"I'll be fine, I'm going to get some water actually." I back away from him, and his body language is hesitant, as my hand is released from his.

"Make sure it's water." He glances around the room, before glancing back at me.

"Got it."

I make my way around the house, wandering aimlessly. Girls scan me up and down, shooting daggers into every inch of my body. Although it seems every girl is dressed them same here. Tattoos on their arms, fishnet stockings, and shirts with giant holes in them. The only difference is they all chose to dye their hair a different color of the rainbow.

"Hey, you looking for something?"

I turn and see the source of the voice. It's the girl with electric blue hair, the one who saw it to be necessary to flirt with Zayn in front of me. I'm not sure of her name.

"I've seen you before, but I'm not sure we had a proper introduction. I'm Jade." She smiles wickedly, and holds out her hand for me to shake.

"I'm Ella." I smile softly at her, trying to appear as kind as possible.

"You're also thirsty I can tell." She grabs a red cup from in front of the gallon of water, and hands it to me.

"Drink up love."