Chapter 68

And this is where the story picks up again!

I follow the map to a local train station, noticing the arrow printed points to a building just before. I glance up and spot two large double doors, metal and rusted, attached to a building just as the map showed me.

I huff in exhaustion, and shiver from a mixture of nerves and the weather adding on, but pull open the door with force. It being late in the evening, practically past midnight, it's difficult to see anything until I step inside. The minute the door shuts behind me, I notice a trail of dim lights heading downwards. Automatically telling me there's a staircase within a few feet and I should be aware.

As predicted, I step forward and down, hitting a step, and afterwards, make my way down until I hit solid ground.

"Okay, this isn't creepy." I sigh, and fold my arms over my chest as I follow the lights down the narrow hallway. Faint voices can be heard a long way down, echoing off the stone walls, and I follow them until I reach another set of doors.

I pull it open, struggling a bit, and slide in quickly, right before it slams behind me. When I finally look up, bright lights shine down on my face, and allow me to see a bit of the room I'm standing in. Stacks of boxes, piled towards the roof over my head, create long isles running across what looks like a storage room.

Or an old factory.

"What was that?" A deep voice echoes across the room, muttering other things under his breath that I can't hear.

"I don't know, nor do I care." Another says, dropping what sounds like a couple of packed boxes against the concrete.

I peak out from behind a stack of boxes, and notice a door cracked open slightly and the room brightly lit. But I can't see who's inside.

"Go find out!" The man barks to the others, and I jump at the tone of his voice. Quickly though, I duck my head and hurry across the isle, strategically hiding between the boxes.

"I don't see anything boss." A man shouts, and the sound of his heavy footsteps fade in the distance.

"Thank God." I sigh in relief that I didn't get caught, and lean against one of the stacks of boxes.

Not without destroying the pile, and knocking each and every box to the ground with a loud crash.

"I thought I heard someone going through our shit." The man approaches me from behind, and I turn to face him slowly. When I tuck the annoying short strand of hair behind my ear, he tilts his head slightly and furrows his eyebrows.

"Who are you?" He asks, folding his arms across his rather built chest.

"Depends who's asking." I retort, and he lets out a slight laugh at my attitude.

"I like you already."

"Her name would be Ellana Rivers." A man steps out from behind a row of boxes, draped in a black trench coat, and makes his way over to me. "Nice to see you again dear."

He holds his hand out to me, but I frown down at it for a minute. Deciding whether or not I could even trust him.

"Don't be rude. Your mum wouldn't have allowed this." He passively suggests, and I warily hold out my hand for it to take.

"I'm here for this." I hold out the stack of papers to him, and he flips through them quickly. His facial expression changes immediately, and a wicked smile forms along with his eyes going wide.

"How did you even come across these?" He asks as he looks up at me.

"I'd rather not relive the past few days to explain, thank you."