Chapter 63

I think I'm done being depressing lol

Zayns POV

"She's not here. James I swear to God, tell me where she is." I aimlessly pace around my flat, double checking each room in case she's in the bathroom or taking a shower and I happened to miss it. There's only a week left, and if I know him the way I think I do, she could very well be taken away from me earlier than expected.

"Got to say, as much as I want to play with you and drive you mad, I won't. She's at the cemetery, most likely visiting her friend." He chuckles softly, and I stop in my tracks to listen to the disgusting sound of his entertainment.

"You're laughing because...?" I sigh of relief at the thought of her being okay and free.

"I'm laughing, Zayn, because you're crazy about her. Not the good kind of crazy either. More like the in love, sick puppy, crazy about her. And yet a few months ago, all she was to you was a job."

I race to my room, and slip on a different pair of boots, due to my others being soaked from walking in snow. "I suppose you've never been in love James?"

"Not ever since I accepted this job, no. My advice to you is, get your head out of your ass and do what you're told. Even though, it's probably too late for you anyway." The line goes dead, and I roll my eyes while slipping my phone back into my pocket.

Without a second thought, and not caring what I leave behind, I rush out the door, locking it behind me.

--

I reach the cemetery, and slowly walk respectfully amongst the tombstones. It's empty, as it should be, so it couldn't be too hard to find her.

And I do.

Her crimson peacoat pops of color among the bunch of grey you'd only see if she weren't here. I keep a safe distance, but manage to watch over her protectively as she mourns. She hunches over on the grass, placing a bouquet of bright white roses in front of the marble stone, next to another bouquet similar to hers.

My phone vibrates in my pocket, but I reach down and shut it off immediately.

I can't ruin this for her.

Then, I watch as she spreads her legs out across the grass and lays flat in front of the stone, letting out cries I'm now able to hear. My heart shatters at the sound of her crying, but I can't bring myself to move just yet. I need to comfort her, but something tells me she doesn't need me to.

Her cries fade out until I can no longer hear them, and that's when I make my way over to her. Her hand covers the exposed side of her face, and her hair falls to the opposite side in shiny black waves. I can't hear her crying, because she fell asleep.

"Who the fuck falls asleep in a cemetery?" I ask myself, but shake out the rude personal thought.

"Only my girlfriend, of course." With a swift movement, I place one arm under her legs and the other around her back, pulling her up to my chest and carrying her bridal style.

She murmurs in her sleep, but I don't say a word, hoping she'll let the exhaustion overcome her. We reach my car and it's a damn struggle to get the door open with her in my arms, but I do anyway. I slide her into the back seat, against the fabric cushion comfortably.

"This isn't real." She finally manages to speak in her sleep, and I smile at the way her lips part slightly as she breathes.

"Please keep thinking that." I kiss her temple, and shut the door behind her.

"Glad you found her!" A voice shouts from across the road. I turn to see him, dressed in all black as well, as if this was a funeral he should've attended.