Chapter 54

Zayns POV

As I pull out of the parking lot, I dial an old friends number from the Bluetooth of my car and focus on the busy road ahead.

"Hello?" His voice blares throughout the car.

"Hey Jamie, it's Zayn." I grip the steering wheel tight, turning my knuckles white. My nerves are bouncing off the walls of my body, and I can't sit still just knowing about this plan.

"Zayn Malik? What's going on lad? Haven't heard from you in ages!" He exclaims, clearly excited to hear from me. "You know, I spoke to your mum and-"

"Jamie, Jamie listen!" I shout over him, cutting his ramble short. He's always had the tendency to share too much information or things no one ever cared to know. "I need your help with something."

"Oh sorry, go ahead." By the tone of his voice softening, I can imagine him coiling away from me; afraid.

"Alright, so here's the thing."

Ella's POV

The sun must be resting at it's peak above the somber clouds in the sky, because I can't help but notice it's a bright gray. That alone tells me just how long I've been sprawled out across this couch, waiting for him to come back.

I'm not sure where he went, and I truthfully don't want to know. All I want is the truth, nothing more and nothing less.

The door unlocks, and I hear him humming a tune to himself as he tip toes inside. He looks up, and flinches away, startled once he notices me glaring directly at him.

"Hey baby." He smiles awkwardly, approaching slowly.

"Hey, you." I eye him carefully, and I can practically hear his heart pounding against his rib cage.

"My clothes?" He points to the black suit shirt he wore recently, but my bare legs huddled on the couch. "You always manage to look incredibly sexy in them."

"Ashley called." I say blatantly, not trying to waste anymore time.

"I thought I told you she calls to ask about you?" He plops down next to me, and sprawls out to lay his head in my lap.

"I would normally assume that's the reason, but I already told her where I would be." I look down at him, but tear my eyes away quickly. The way he stares at me is like he knows how easy it is to distract me with his enticing, warm eyes. Instead, I play with his hair, exactly the way I know he hates. Running my fingers through the smooth black waves.

"Then truthfully Ella, I don't know why she would be calling." He reaches up, and uses one finger to turn my head towards him. "Why won't you look at me?"

In my peripheral vision, I notice that same cocky smirk he's always had. He's waiting for me to cave in, but I'm no where near done with this.

"Because I'm being serious! I trust you, don't get me wrong. It's just weird that she's calling you constantly."

"This is only the second time." He sits up, and turns toward me. It's hard to stifle my laughter, looking at his hair messed up and brushed in different directions.

"Two times way too many."

"How's this," he reaches for his phone, and places it in my hand. "You call her, look through my phone,whatever it is you pyscho girls do, and handle it, yeah?"

The way he makes it sound makes me feel a little embarrassed. Sure, I don't doubt my own suspicions because any normal girl would feel the same way. But the whole thing is much more dramatic than it ever should've been.