Chapter 44

"She finally shows up to class! Nice." Eric spits sarcastically. Ever since the hospital I haven't spoken to him, and the tension between us only seems to grow stronger the longer we avoid eachother.

"He finally talks to me! Lovely." I roll my eyes at him, before slouching in my desk. The light outside shines in, burning my eyes until a shadow casts over me, blocking it.

"We have to talk at some point El." He sighs, and turns to me. Before I can say anything, the professor walks in and begins the class leaving so many things unsaid. Mr.Hart turns his head, and looks up towards me among the tall rows of desks.

"Nice of you to join us Marie, it's been a while. Although I hope you're aware I'm not getting paid to babysit you and any work you've missed can't be made up." He slides his glasses up the bridge of his nose.

"Yes, I'm aware thank you." I fold my arms across my chest and meet his stare.

"Okay, very well. And I see you've joined our newest transfer Mr.Sanchez."

"With all due respect professor, there's a lecture that needs to be taught." I snap at him, earning several glances from around the hall.

He purses his lips, pressing them into a straight line. I zone him out after he begins, covering my face in my hands; exhausted from last night. It's a weird feeling, because I had the best night and the worst night but I want to let the good outweigh the bad.

"Someone's in a bad mood." Eric mumbles next to me, testing what little patience I have.

"Unless you have something important to say, don't talk to me." I hiss, trying my best to focus on the teacher in front of me.

"Actually I do, how about after this? You don't have to go to that student assistant shit."

"But Zayn is-"

"Really?" He whines, and I feel him looking at me. After a while, I sigh in defeat and throw my hands up.

"Fine." I shrug, simply exhausted and want sleep. I can tell he's smiling victoriously, there's no need for me to even look up.

--

"What do you want to talk about?" I ask, pulling a beanie over my head as we stroll through the campus courtyard. The leaves have fallen completely off the trees, and snow covers the ground as Christmas approaches. You can tell it's that season due to the string lights glowing in random dorm windows at night, or the few who still decide to sing carols. I remind myself I'm supposed to spend Christmas Eve with Zayn this week, over at his apartment, even put up our own tree, and smile uncontrollably earning a weird glance from Eric.

"Us." He states, and I can't help but get an awkward feeling in my chest, or around me.

"What about us?" I ask warily, stepping a few feet further from him.

"What happened to us? Our friendship?"

His question is random, yet valid and understandable. After secondary school, Eric Ashley, and I decided to attend the same university. All in hopes of maintaining our friendship and staying close together. But ever since I've met Zayn, that just hasn't been the case.

"I'm not exactly sure." I sigh, and stare up at the gloomy sky.

"I can tell you what happened."

"Enlighten me." I roll my eyes and I know exactly what he's going to say.

"Zayn happened."

"Eric, plea-"

"No, Ella you know it's true!" He yells a bit too loud, and I step further away from him. He notices my distance and inhales deeply. "Ever since you met him, you've been distant. Maybe not with Ashley but definitely with me."

I decide to keep walking, focusing on the seemingly endless row of bare trees under the gray sky. He keeps up, but doesn't take his bright blue eyes off of me as we continue to walk in silence.

"It's not like you've tried to talk to me Eric. Not once have you come by my dorm, or texted me even." I shrug, and a faint cloud forms in front of my lips.

"Really? That's why when you were in the fucking hospital, he lied to me saying you were somewhere else. Actually, your mums grave!" He shouts, frustrated and I don't blame him. "And times after that, I would ask about you and he would tell me you were busy or out with Ashley when not even ten minutes later I would run into her, and you were no where to be found. If you're looking for the reason we're not close anymore and I haven't been around? It's because of Zayn."

I stop in my tracks, crushing the pile of snow beneath me. He towers over me, and I don't even notice how close he's standing to me until I look up and meet his gaze.

"Zayn is my priority." I sigh, watching snowflakes fall on his brown hair, and all around him.

"And you're mine." He mumbles, and slowly places his hands over my arms.

What?

Wow so ummm, almost 300 reads? It may not seem like a lot but for me, a person who writes this with no intention of asking for votes or whatever the hell authors do, it's a big deal. So thank you, and I hope it continues to grow :) -Natalie