Chapter 42

Ella's POV

"Zayn it's 12 am, where exactly and how do you plan to find him?" I ask, also wondering what the hell happened to Ashley. She went to go get a drink, but never returned. Even though it allowed me to finally make plenty use of my time with Zayn, I'm also worried.

"That's the thing about my job love." He pulls the black denim fabric up his leg, it wrapping tightly around his calf. "I work with dirty people, and these dirty people know other dirty people."

I stare at him blankly, as he rolls his eyes.

"I'm sure someone at my job can tell me where he is."

"Oh." I nod, wrapping the sheets around my body.

"No need to hide yourself Ella, I've had the blissful opportunity to see you naked." He smiles flirtatiously, and I can't help feeling the heat rise in my cheeks.

"I'd say the same for you actually." I smirk at him, and run my hand over my face in embarrassment. "But I have classes too, I can't be out this late."

"Spoken like a true college student." He sighs, licking his bottom lip. "Don't worry love, theres always tomorrow."

"Do you even go to class?" I ask, and realize I've never really seen him in class before.

"Only when I have to." He laughs shakily, and pulls his leather jacket on. "Bloody hell, put some clothes on!" He hisses, tossing me my shirt.

--

The streets of London are much more quiet, and it's nice to not feel so suffocated. Even if that means roaming the streets at two in the morning. Zayn laces his hand with mine, guiding me through an alley way towards a garage.

I hiss in pain, rubbing my lower back slowly.

"Something wrong?" He asks, looking around anxiously.

"No, I'm fine. Just," I pause, inhaling deeply. "Cramps."

His eyes go wide, and to my surprise he laughs.

"I guess we chose the exact moment hmm?" He teases, and I roll my eyes.

"Fuck you." I sigh, and I see him shrug his shoulders in the corner of my eye.

"If we're being technical," he pulls me to a stop, and his warm brown eyes glow in the dim lighting. "You just did."

I push him softly, and begin to walk away until he reconnects our hands.

"Can't go in alone Ella, that's never a good choice."

"They don't know me, they wouldn't have any reason to hurt me."

"That they do actually. See, this business? As you continue to work for it, you learn connections and names. You being related to an infamous murderer makes you very well known. A neon target rests on your back." He rubs my back slowly, his fingers pressing the woven fabric down.

"Hmmm, I hope it's blue." I laugh, gently pulling him towards me so our noses are barely brushing.

"Ella, I'm serious." He scolds, and I can see behind his eyes that he's battling with himself about letting me close to him.

"Okay I get it. But I have you," I smile up at him. "And you're more than protective of me so I think my target is pretty well hidden."

He sighs in defeat, and pulls me against his chest; his arms wrapping around my shoulders. I feel his chin rest on my head, and I study the familiar sound of his heartbeat.

"Let's go." He pulls away, and kisses my forehead before taking the lead once more. His tongue swipes over his bottom lip swiftly, and a glimmer of light catches my attention.