Sweet and sour

A/N: I'm giving Caulifla and Goku a break with this chapter! This is all Kale, Cabba and Goten and corresponds with the events of the previous chapter.

xXx

"Hoyo!" Goten shouted as he hopped across the river, careful not the slip on the slick stepping stones. "Hoy! Hoyo!"

Cabba and Kale looked on at the sight, more amused than perplexed at the boy's behavior.

Goten stopped in his tracks and squatted down, brushing the rapids with the tips of his fingers. He laughed gleefully and splashed both of his hands into the water, sending a spray of aqua and rainbow flying up toward his new friends. They all shared a laugh at his antics. Kale and Cabba watched Goten carefully from the air as he bravely did handstands on the slippery rocks, sticking his tongue out while he was at it.

"Watch your step, Goten!" warned Cabba when Goten nearly tumbled headfirst into the river.

Kale floated leisurely alongside Cabba. As usual, she avoided conversation and lost herself in her own pondering instead. Tomorrow, she and Cabba would be joining Caulifla in training. They hoped to gain full control of their super saiyan forms, Cabba especially after he had unlocked a new transformation. Kale, on the other hand, could feel in her gut that there were no other transformations for her. Her super saiyan form was different from her friends' - it was stronger, more aggressive and completely uncontrollable. Whereas Cabba and Caulifla could summon their mastered transformations through sheer will alone, hers was triggered only by strong, negative emotions.

"Haha, too slow, Cabba!" Kale vaguely heard Goten say. It was as if she was underwater.

"Gah! Goten, don't do that! It's dangerous!"

Kale had already established to herself that she did not like Son Goku. It wasn't as if he had done anything to directly cross her. No, it was worse. He had taken Caulifla away from her. Without him barging into their lives, she would have never left her home and things would have reverted back to normal. She and Caulifla had stuck together since life had brought them their own personal tragedies. Why did Goku have to ruin everything by simply showing up? It frustrated her to no end but she would never confront Caulifla about it. A fight was the last thing Kale needed right now.

"Aha!" cheered Goten, pointing to a sign that said 'Welcome to Chazke Village', "We're here!" He ran off into the village excitedly. "Hurry up!"

Cabba landed and went after Goten, Kale doing the same. The little boy was like a supply of endless energy. His excitement was contagious - Kale and Cabba couldn't help but smile as they entered the village. It was a quaint little thing but full of life, just like the boy in front of them.

One of the villagers approached them. "Welcome back, Goten!" He ruffled the boy's hair. "How are the folks?"

"Great!" answered Goten.

"That's good to hear." He glanced at Goten's companions. "Now who are these folks? Friends of yours?"

"Yeah! They're my dad's friends!"

Kale frowned slightly at being referred to as Goku's friend but brushed it off.

The villager smiled at them and stretched his arm out. "Well hey there. The name's Pete. It's obvious you two aren't from around here so welcome to Chazke Village!"

"Thank you," Cabba said politely, shaking the man's hand. Kale nodded in agreement, shaking Pete's hand limply.

"We're here to see Lime and Mr Lao," interjected Goten. "They haven't gone anywhere, right Pete?"