Secret Heart

"I'm curious..." Chaya's voice flitted through the cell, causing Renso to look up. "What kind of information do you hold? It's obviously something important if my Lady has imprisoned you here."

Renso blinked in surprise. This is her new strategy? Asking straight up to my face? He'd expected her to go unto a route with multiple twists and turns designed to make him slip up. He certainly wasn't expecting... This.

"You could just tell me... And put us both out of our miseries. I don't like being here anymore than you do." She shifted uncomfortably in her seat. "You must be the only prisoner in an prison ship to be assigned a guard. Do you like feeling special or something?"

"Special?" Renso echoed. "Not at all. If anything, this is even more degrading."

"Oh? How so?"

"Your Lady is playing a game with me. I don't know what. And believe me when I say that I do not enjoy information being withheld from me."

"And there, ladies and gentleman, is the perfect example of hypocrisy in a male," Chaya remarked dryly. "The sooner you give me the information my Lady needs, the sooner you get out of this joint." ... Into the jaws of death.

"I don't want to," Renso replied, grinning to himself. Luckily, Chaya's back was turned and she could not see it. Oh, he was really enjoying this. Whatever cards this guard held were nothing to his own. Not to mention it would likely keep him alive longer. "You're a saiyan, aren't you?" he asked, swiftly changing the subject.

It was apparent to him that Chaya was quickly losing her patience and her wits with this tedious task. Perhaps enough to answer his own questions...?

"Obviously."

Renso couldn't help but bare his teeth in a toothy smile again. "I figured. After all, I'm one too. But you already know that, don't you?" When she didn't answer he continued, "Do you come from the Sadala Defence Forces?"

"Tch, of course not. I don't have any time for that shit."

The retired captain did not appreciate her calling his pride and joy 'shit' but let it slide. Lashing out would only lead her to raise her guard once more.

"Then where do you come from? Are you nobility?"

There was no reply.

"Middle class?" Renso pressed.

His question was left hanging in the air.

Chaya's rough voice slashed through the thick silence. "Where I come from is none of your business. You'll do well to remember that, prisoner." Just like that, she had retreated back into her shell. Not that she had come out too far from it anyway.

Renso sighed. It had been worth a try. It was unlikely that the guard would ever free him just because they became acquainted; so instead he had focused on trying to know more about her. Spending the entire day in a cell with nothing to do was tedious at the least. But wait... Isn't this the same as what I do at home? He straightened, suddenly seeing the reality of the situation as clear as day.

Out of the corner of her eye, Chaya caught his sudden movement. That saiyan... He's a strange one alright. Not that she knew many saiyans anyway. Lady Kafara almost never assigned her to any missions on Planet Sadala. Secretly, Chaya was glad of that - Planet Sadala and its inhabitants meant nothing to her... But it would be strange to walk among her people after so long.

I was rescued, Chaya reminded herself. I have a purpose in this world. Whatever it is though, it definitely has nothing to do with that godforsaken planet.