8

When we left the apartment, Sofia called Thomas. He didn't answer the first time, so I assume he's taking a call. Unlike me, his job is bustling and he is lucky for an afternoon off, let alone two. Sofia put round two on speaker when we got in the car. She started the Camero and smiled at me, setting her hand on my thigh like a farm boy driving his truck with a fair girl in passenger. Sofia's began backing up when the final ring sounded. I nearly spoke when his voice came through. "Hallo, Sofia. What's up?"

"H-"

Sofia tapped the inside of my leg, silencing me. "Hey, so change of plans- Dove is going meet us there."

I looked out the window of the passing tree meridians and other cars. (I don't like where her hand is. I really don't.) It's a beautiful day. Bicyclists are seldom this early in the morning during a crisp cloudy forecast. (Sofia, please-) "Work, or somethin'?"

"I'm not sure," Sofia said, watching her task of driving.

"Y' don't know where she is?" He asked as if the call was his first priority. Quickly and engaged.

"No. I haven't spoken to her since yesterday."

Thomas must've gotten something better to think about because it took him a moment to respond. I would've taken an eternity to come up with a reply to that; that was a thick pill to swallow. We aren't the kind of couple to avoid one another. Thomas knows me too well. "Alright. I might be a bit late too. Are y' on y'r way?"

"I am. It doesn't matter though, I can wait for you. Better yet, it'll give me a few minutes to talk to Dove when she gets here. She and I could use some time to work some things out." She put her grip back on the wheel, a warm hand print being left on my skin. (Please don't grab my thigh like that again, Sofia.)

"I will take my time then," he mumbled. "Is something the matter, Sofia? Y' seem a bit off."

"I'm driving, sorry. Yeah, everything's fine. Traffic is just a nightmare." She brushed her hair back nervously, as she often did when lying. That adorable comfort twitch is how I found out she liked me. I was messing with her while we were filming Space Between, as a joke considering how close the characters were and she was just playing along, but then afterwards, in all seriousness, when she brushed her hair back saying no in the softest whisper ever, I was pretentious enough to take the hint. Just thinking about it makes my heart flutter.

Thomas's thick accent stood out against the whipping of wind outside of the car. "How were things after I left?"

"Not great, but I don't suppose you need particulars." Sofia turned into the complex of stores and Starbucks. There were vacant tables outside, though the inside was crowded. Blending in like an orange vest. Brilliant. "It was rough. She started yelling and-" I made sure she caught my look. I did what? "Alright, I started it. It wasn't looking good for a while. I left last night and stayed in a hotel. I'll try to talk to her today."

"Whatever happens, right?"

The colour from her face dripped to the floor. The car stopped and shut off, she grabbed her phone and put it against her ear. "I will see you when you get here."

The muffled response was cut short when she hung up. She removed her safety belt, nervously throwing it off her. "Black coffee?"

I nod slowly. I focus, I can't screw this up. This is for her, I want it to go as smoothly as possible and as least eventfully as possible. I want to be able to go out with her and the boys after this without having to create scenes every go around. We are breaking up, not cutting one another out of our lives. It's a clean split like Thomas and I left things, not like mine with Ryan. "So, what's the story?"