12

Sofia went down to Starbucks to feed my caffine addiction, bringing me back the iced black coffee I requested, and a mint lemonade for herself. When she walked in the door, she was a new person than she was when she left. Refreshed and happy, it seemed. Flushed of her frustration and cleansed of her anxiety, she was just free.

My girlfriend came in the front door and immediately handed me my cup. She set next to me on the couch and she draped her body over my lap, giggling to herself like an infant. "What?" I ask.

"I got a call."

I smile, shaking my head as I tried not to laugh at her cackle. "What about?"

"About a new project." She was truly beaming. Sofia loves what she does, she enjoys almost every minute of her job, and I am almost certain that acting and dancing are the two things that, through anything, can make my girlfriend smile through every day of her life.

Sooner or later, I need to find the thing that makes my day by day existence worth it. I'm dreading this futile audition. I'm sick of everyone else in the world having the power to say the one thing I'm almost afraid to say: no.

"What was it for?" I ask. I make her sit up, so I can hold her. I kissed the corner of her mouth and held her shoulder against my chest.

"Cam and his friend finally got a rough idea down for their film."

"Really? What is it?"

She nodded slowly, biting her lip and hissing softly. "Yeah, um, I'm sorry, babe, but he said it was supposed to stay under wraps, in case it changes, you know. But he's taken the first step, and I am so proud of him."

"That is so good for him. That's great."

She got up and got her pale green drink, sitting next to me. "I promise, you're going to love it," she whispered, leaning into me and pressing a gentle kiss to my temple. I could taste the mint on her teeth. She laid back into the couch. "Let's just say, a lot of people need the support."

"Well, that's great. I'm really proud of him."

"Yeah. I am too. God, that kid is inspiring." She took a sip of her drink, looking blankly at the wall. "I just hate that it has to be something negative."

"It is?" I asked.

She nodded softly. "Yeah, I wish it wasn't though."

I sigh. "Me too."

Sofia began relaxing and her jitters faded away, but then she was too relaxed. She became somber. "Oh, and, speaking of horrible news, did you hear that another actor- I think it was Matt Damon- was accused of sexual misconduct? Sabrina lost a movie opportunity because the entire project was shut down because of it. I am starting to think these accusations are getting a little out of hand."

"A little?" I ask, setting the lip of my coffee to my mouth, swallowing the burning liquid. I shake my head. "No, it was out of hand by the third accusation on Harvey Weinstein."

"Okay, well, I maybe wouldn't go that far. I don't know what to think- I don't like seeing people be smashed down to nothingness, but I also have to give my heart out to the people who are speaking up. They've been through something awful, they deserve the justice this give them. It's just a sad world we live in."

I take a breath. I can't not agree with her, but she is missing one key part of this: why now? Why does everyone else think they should say something. Why say anything at all? It only hurts both of them in the end. Is it worth the self destruction? "Why are women destroying the careers of these men? I don't get it. It's her word against his. And, frankly, the men are losing."