Chapter 3

Dedicated Chapter Song: Lose Control - Evanescence

You don't remember my name
I don't really care.
(Levi)

Can we play the game your way?
Can I really lose control?
Just once in my life
I think it'd be nice
Just to lose control- just once
(Anna)

Can we play the game your way?Can I really lose control?Just once in my lifeI think it'd be niceJust to lose control- just once(Anna)

      Anna woke up the next morning in a warm, clean room that smelled that of lavender, a scent Anna enjoyed. "H-Hello?" she rubbed her eyes and kicked her legs off the bed. "Hellooo?" she called again, but there was no reply. Glancing around the room, a sudden pang in the back of her head made her groan out. "Agh!" she raised a hand to her temple. 

      'Me first!' an image of Hanji appeared in front of Anna. 'You love me more, right, A?' there were two other girls, one of which Anna didn't recognize at all. She had short blondish-red hair and was sitting next to an image of Anna, with Levi up on the bed. 'There's enough for everyone. Even Grumpy Dwarf over there.' the holographic Anna motioned to the other Levi up on the bed. Then the images were gone.

       Anna gasped, shaking her head. "I must be losing my damn mind," she muttered and looked around the room. "This has got to be the Captain's room..." she noted, stepping out of the bedroom and into his office. "Wonder why I'm here..." the Captain returned momentarily, a few sheets of paper in his hands. "Oh. You're up," he said monotonously upon seeing her. "Y-Yeah..." she rubbed the back of her neck, then groaned again as another image played through her head. 

      'Cruel and cold like winds on the sea. Will you ever return to me?' Anna had been sitting on the desk with Levi by her side and she had been singing to him. "...that song..." she muttered. "Did you say something?" Levi glanced at her. "Hm? Oh, nothing." she shook her head. "Just a headache." she lied. 

       "You'll be Mikasa's responsibility today. I hope your head isn't an empty barrel and you can actually be useful." Levi stated, taking a seat at his desk. Anna nodded, rubbing her arms. "Y-Yes...heichou." she turned away from him and headed outside. She gaped at the white fields and how bright the land was. Everyone around acted like it was normal, all wearing warm jackets and their green capes. Anna rubbed her arms, realizing she didn't get her jacket. "Anna, what are you doing?" said Eren. "Aren't you cold?"

      "Uh...y-yeah...I left my jacket...somewhere..." she glanced around. "Here. Let's go get you some warm clothes before you have to fight Mikasa." Anna gasped. "Fight?!" 

"Well...yeah...that's how you train."

"I don't want to fight!"

"Corporal Levi insists that it'll help you remember."

"Of course he does..." Anna sighed as the two of them walked to the supply depot. "He's so overbearing." she clicked her tongue. "He worries about you, you know," Eren explained. Anna sighed. "He thinks of me as a burden, Eren. All everyone wants me to do is remember but- what if this is just a second chance for me? What if me getting amnesia is a good thing?" she asked, hopefully. 

      "Anna, I'm not an expert on this kinda thing, but I'm pretty sure Hanji said your amnesia is just a side effect of the serum," Eren stated, helping her get a warm jacket and cape. "That's what everyone is going to think." Anna sighed. "Never mind. It's hopeless."

      Anna cried out loud as her body hit the cold muddy ground, her sword flying from her hand

      Anna cried out loud as her body hit the cold muddy ground, her sword flying from her hand. "This is pointless. She can't fight." Mikasa stated, flatly. Levi shook his head at the girl on the ground. "Are you just not trying? Need I remind you what will happen should you fail to meet the requirements by the end of the month?"

      Anna spits out the snow from her mouth. "No. Sir." she scrambled to her feet and took up her sword, turning to face Mikasa. "Right... Yeah. Let's go again." she said, though everyone watching was skeptical of her. Mikasa advanced, lunging her sword at Anna.

      It all happened so fast, but in Anna's mind, it went rather slow. She had ducked underneath Mikasa's sword, letting it fly just above her face as she arched her back and skidded behind the other girl. Anna jumped back to her feet again, slamming her elbow into Mikasa and knocking her forward.

      She spun as Mikasa turned and the two faced each other, their swords clashing together. Levi shifted, now seemingly interested in how Anna fought. She'd took a few steps back and front-flipped over Mikasa, putting her sword to her neck.

      "So... you can still fight." Levi mused aloud. Anna panted. "Y-yeah..." she nodded. "I was given elite training every day. It's the one thing I still remember."

"Enough Mikasa. Take a break," he ordered, grabbing Anna by the wrist. "Just how much do you remember?" he demanded of her. "H-heichou... I've told you everything... you can read the reports..." Anna said, trying to wriggle free of him.

      Levi sighed and let go of her wrist, causing her to fall into the snow. "You're a bigger pain in the ass than Jaeger," he muttered and stomped off. Anna glared daggers at the back of his head as she carefully got to her feet. "Somebody's on his period," she mumbled.

      "Did you say something?" Hanji walked over. Anna blinked. "Hmm? No. Nothing." she put her hands behind her back in an innocent manner. "By the way... today is the 24th, correct?"

      "Yeah. Why?" Hanji asked. Anna smiled to herself. "Tomorrow is Christmas..." she said quietly. "Do you think you could show me where Cullen was buried?"

      "Oh, that's back at our old headquarters. You'd probably have to get permission from Levi before I could allow you to just go." Hanji explained. Anna sighed. "Fine. Forget it." she waved Hanji off and walked back to the stables. "Everyone here is useless," she mumbled to herself.

      "Any sign of finding Anna's journal?" Levi asked the other cadets. "None, Sir," Connie replied. "It's nowhere to be found. Either it's lost or Anna hid it pretty well," he replied.

      Anna pulled herself up into the rafters, glancing about before slipping the leather-bound book out from the small stack of hay. It had a golden A painted on the front. Anna turned the pages to let the piece of fabric from Cullen's scarf fall into her lap. "I think I'm going crazy, Cullen..." she said, holding the dark wool fabric in her hands. It was a mixture of purple, red and black yarn.

      "I keep seeing weird images everywhere. I don't know if that's my memories. I don't how much longer of this I can really take." she sighed, and looking out at the setting sun. "Well... Merry Christmas, Cull..." she whispered, looking down at her journal to read the entry of the day he'd died.

" she whispered, looking down at her journal to read the entry of the day he'd died