Chapter 12

Dedicated Chapter Song: Hymn For The Missing - Red

I tried to walk together, but the night was growing dark. Thought you were beside me, but I reached and you were gone. Sometimes I hear you calling from some lost and distant shore. I hear you crying softly for the way it was before
(Levi)

      “Levi!” Anna called as she tugged her horse along outside

      “Levi!” Anna called as she tugged her horse along outside. “Levi, I need to talk with you.” he was busy barking orders to everyone as half the Scouts we're loading up supply carriages. “Not now, Annalise.” he said, harshly, mounting his own horse that was at least twice the height of him. “Levi, it's important! I'm—”

      “I said not now!” he barked, almost scaring her off. Anna lowered her head in shame. “Yes, Corporal...” her eyes widened as she felt her stomach churning and she ran off to throw up.

      Rose sighed playfully as she watched Jean struggle with his saddle. “In need of my assistance again, Kirstein?” she teased, earning a look from him. “I can do it myself. It's just stuck.” he grunted and Rose laughed, walking to his side. She bumped her hip against his and shoved him out of the way, taking hold of the buckles on his saddle. “I could have done it myself." He protested.

      “Sure, you could have. You can barely get yourself dressed in the morning.” she teased. Jean rolled his eyes. “How the hell am I supposed to get dressed in 5 seconds when you randomly appear in my room?” Rose giggled and leaned in for a kiss, until Anna came barging in, grabbing a hold of her friend. "Sorry to break this up but I need to steal Rose.” she spoke hastily, dragging her friend outside.

      “What is this about?” Rose asked. “I...I just...” Anna stammered. She didn't want anyone hearing so she leaned in close and whispered it into her ear. “What?! Does Levi know?!” she gasped. “I've been trying to tell him but he won't listen to me!”

      “Someone has to tell him! Anna, you can't fight!” Rose argued. “I don't have a choice.” Anna shook her head. “...how long have you known...?” Rose asked. Anna rubbed her arms. “Two weeks.” she mumbled. “So that explains your mood swing...”  Rose mused. “You have to tell him!”

      Hanji was nearby, eavesdropping on the two. It didn't take a genius to figure out what Anna's secret was, even though Hanji was one. If Levi wouldn't to Anna, he'd listen to her.

      “Corporal!” she stormed over to him on his horse. “Oi?” he glanced down at Hanji. “What do you want?” he asked. “It's about Anna.” Hanji smiled. Levi grunted. “What did she do now?"
      “You're not going to believe this... Anna's pregnant.”

      “I can't believe you haven't told him yet

      “I can't believe you haven't told him yet.” Rose chided as the Scouting Regiment proceeded into Titan territory. Anna ignored Hanji's declaration and kept her head down. “I think he just thinks I'm useless.” she admitted. “I've been placed in the middle of the formation all of a sudden at the ‘safest point’ and I've been ordered not to attack unless I'm in a situation that threatens my own life.” she tightened her hands around the restraints of her horse.

      “Yeah, it's weird. I've been ordered to protect you at all costs. Even to go Titan mode should the need arise.” Anna furrowed her eyebrows. “Why would someone who didn't care this morning if I lived or died suddenly change the plans revolving around me?” she pondered aloud.

      “Maybe he knows something we don't.” Rose suggested. “He always does.” Anna remarked. “Titan up ahead.” she mumbled nonchalantly as she watched someone in the backup squad take it down. Her blue eyes shimmered as she looked up into the air to see several black smoke signals. “Abnormals...” Anna mumbled, remembering the notes in her diary about what smoke signals meant what.

      “Lariviere!” Levi called. “Pass on the signal.” Rose reached into her pack and grabbed the smoke gun, loading a black smoke pellet into it. “Got it!” she obeyed, putting her free hand up to her ear while her other hand reached up and shot the smoke signal. Anna cringed as the noise seemed to rattle her bones.

      “Nngh...” she groaned, shaking her head. “Where is that monkey bastard?” she muttered to herself. It was starting to rain down on them, causing the squad to all pull up their hoods. Anna didn't bother. She let the rain cascade down her face and soak her hair. It matched her mood. After a moment or two the rain became heavier and it was almost impossible to see a foot ahead.

      “This rain will be the death of us!” Rose shouted over the sound of the monsoon. “We'll get flooded out before we can even see the Titans coming!” Anna’s heart began to race. “Stick to the protocol!” she shouted as well. Then she heard a loud roar. It was close. Too close. Anna's breath hitched and her blue eyes widened as she saw an arm come out of the mist and rain and swing into her.

      “We’re surrounded, Corporal!” Eren worriedly shouted. “Keep your eyes forward.” Levi repeated to him. “But, sir, there's a Titan behind us!” Eren replied. “Leave that to someone else to take care of.”

      Anna screamed as she was thrown off her horse and into a tree. “Anna!” Rose cried out, switching from her horse to her ODM gear. Rose struck the Titan at all it's weak spots. She struck from the ankles to the nape, taking it down in the flash. However, that wasn't the only Titan nearby. “Shit... It's an ambush!” Anna cried out as she got back to her feet.

      Rose wiped her forehead, trying to see in the rain. “Get to Levi! I'll take these all down!” Rose declared. “Stay alive!” Anna shouted and ran to her horse, quickly swinging herself up and remounting it more swiftly than she'd ever done in practice. “Gotta get to Levi.” she said to herself, dodging several Titans that were trying to attack her.

      “Levi!” she shouted, only to come up to see dead bodies surrounding her. Horse carcases and human bones scattered everywhere. Anna didn't know the fallen squad that was ahead of them, but she knew it meant something. The Special Ops squad was in danger. Levi was in danger. More importantly, she was all alone, with half the squad behind her dead, and the other half at the front somewhere she couldn't see.

      “Oh, God...” she whimpered, hearing the Titans closing in on her. “I'm going to die alone...”

(A/N: My own artwork of Rose

(A/N: My own artwork of Rose. She's often seen wearing her hair in a ponytail and she wears a signature bowtie.

Rose: All I said was I'm half the girl I used to be and Jean starts bawling.

Horse: *whinnies*

Rose: I know, right? Who the hell is Marco? Is he cheating on me?

Horse: *neighs*

Rose: Eh, I'll beat his ass when he stops crying)