Chapter 34

Dedicated Chapter Song: Sand Storm - Apashe

Look down, you're talking to your highness. Can't see me, I'm the reason for your blindness.
(Anna)

“It doesn't seem like he's anywhere around,” Ruby muttered as the trio hopped from rooftop to rooftop in the Underground City

“It doesn't seem like he's anywhere around,” Ruby muttered as the trio hopped from rooftop to rooftop in the Underground City. “There's no signs of anyone trailing us—”

      “That does not mean that he's not. Even with your thermal vision and my exceptional hearing there's a chance he could slip past us undetected.” Anna calmly spoke, running and jumping to a broken rooftop. “That is if he's even alive.” Levi added. “True. I pray we don't run into him. Now that the VM has disbanded he's the biggest problem of all.”

      “Unh...” Ruby gasped and she jumped down from the roof they were on. “Ruby?” Anna crooned and jumped down beside her. “What is it now?” Levi groaned, following after the two girls. “Oh...” Anna gasped at the shack before the two of them. “I didn't think it would still be standing. Then again, it hasn't been too long since our last visit.”

     “Do you think they'd be in there?” Ruby quietly asked while slowly approaching the broken door. “Be careful...there might be rats in there.” Anna warned, playing on Ruby's childhood fear of critters. “I'm not afraid of rats anymore.” she quietly replied and slipped into the old shack, her eyes shifting to thermal vision. “Someone's been here.” she spoke warily.

      “They weren't here too long ago.” Anna said, her eyes running over each and every page from a book or document that was splayed across the floor. Broken furniture and other obscure items were thrown everywhere. “Tck, they made such a mess.” Anna shook her head. “It looks like they were desperate to find something.”

      Anna's eyes suddenly lit up and she noticed the tilted portrait of a woman above the decrepit fireplace. “Let’s hope they didn't find it.” she reached up and pulled the portrait off the wall. “A safe?” Levi seemed unfazed by the find. “Not just any safe. This is my secret weapons stash.” she grinned, carefully turning the two dials to the safe to 10 and 2.

      When she heard that satisfying ‘click’ noise, a grin appeared on her face. “Come to me, babies.” she reached in, moving her hands about in the dark. Her eyes darkened in anger. “Someone...took...my... babies.” Levi cocked his head to the side. “Who would do that?”

Anna turned to him, her eyes squinted in anger. “Can you think of no other? Those were custom made guns and knives made of mythril— the lightest and rarest metal known to man.” her eyes trailed over to see Ruby picking something small out of the rubble. “This was Rosie's...” she quietly mumbled, picking up a gold with with a gold rose in the center and two golden leaves surrounding it. “It was her engagement ring to Killian...”