Chapter 22

Dedicated Chapter Song: The Walls Are Closing In/ Hangman - The Pretty Reckless

[The human body fascinates me.
The mark of the new light is devastating.
And I know the pain is comforting me.
Its intensity and smell disturbed me.
He died by sacrifice.]
(Anna)

     From the back of the head to the nape of the neck; three feet by two feet

     From the back of the head to the nape of the neck; three feet by two feet. Aaaand, slice! Anna came swinging down onto the ground, a 7-meter falling before her feet. "All good here!" she raised a clenched fist to Rose, who hung up against the Wall after slaying the last of the Titans. "All good here!" she informed.

      Anna shot her ODM gear into the Wall and yanked herself up, flipping onto the top. "What's the current situation, Han?" she asked as the Rose pulled herself up as well. "Ymir is still unconscious," she informed her. From what Anna had gathered since she'd arrived, Ymir was also a Shifter and aided the few Scout members that were trapped at Utgard Castle. It must have taken a lot out of her based on how she appeared when she emerged from her Titan self. "Will she be of any use to us?" Anna asked.

      "Three Shifters on the same team," Ruby mumbled aloud. "Now, I'm not trying to jinx us or anything, but I really think we're pushing our luck here. Who knows how many more Shifters there are out there," she warned, earning looks from Reiner and Bertholdt.  Anna eyed Reiner, noticing his arm in the sling. "What happened to you, huh?" she snarkily asked. He narrowed his eyes at her. "A Titan wanted to try and make me its dinner. Nothing out of the usual." Anna scoffed. "You should be more careful. We don't want you dying on us now," she shifted her weight and walked away to help reload weapons.

      "If she were normal she'd be dead by now," Ruby softly spoke to Eren, who peered down at Ymir. "If she was normal, huh?" he mumbled aloud. Ruby pulled out something from her jacket and held it out in front of him. "I believe this is yours?" she asked, dangling his key in front of his turquoise eyes. Eren gasped, snatching it from her hands. "Where did you get this?!" he demanded. Ruby simply shrugged her shoulders. "It was hidden among some supply crates. I recognized the design, but you'd already taken off, therefore I held onto it." she pointed at the leather cord wrapped around it. "It's frayed at the end. Somebody cut this off of you while you were sleeping and hid it among the supplies. My guess is someone on your team doesn't want you making it to that basement." she warned.

      "Ha!" Rose threw her arm around her younger sister. "That's my little sis! Always the tactical one! I knew you were hiding something." Ruby looked disinterested and held an emotion of disdain. "Please help me," she mumbled to Eren, who chuckled. "Sorry. There isn't much I can do about her." Ruby clenched her fists. "Jean! Get your pastel girlfriend off of me!" she rebuked.

      Anna sighed at her friends and listened in to Krista arguing with Hanji. "Please listen to me!" Krista insisted. Or rather, Anna had learned, her name wasn't truly Krista. In fact, it haunted her as to how eerily similar Krista's real name- Historia- was to Anna's deranged self, Hysteria. As long as she didn't confuse the two, everything should be fine. "I'm telling the truth! Ymir transformed into a Titan to fight off the other Titans and save us!" Anna walked over beside Hanji. "She did it with no regard for her own life, which proves her loyalty to us, her comrades!" Anna's eyes shimmered. "From what I gathered, she really only did it for your sake," she spoke up. Historia's face went a bit red, but she continued. "It's true that her judgment until now is unforgivable. After all, she may know things useful to humanity and yet she kept quiet about it!"