Chapter 38

Dedicated Chapter Song: Royals - Lorde

Let me be your ruler. You can call me Queen B. And baby I'll rule, let me live that fantasy.
(Anna)

“Hello, Annie,” grinned a woman who sat in the darkness amongst a fleet of Anna's old comrades

“Hello, Annie,” grinned a woman who sat in the darkness amongst a fleet of Anna's old comrades. “It's been a while.” Anna aimed her gun at the woman's forehead. She was quite beautiful with her raven black hair and emerald green eyes. It was clear to see that Anna had inherited her mother's beauty but her mother would say she inherited her talents and her father's looks more.

      “You know, this isn't the kind of family reunion I imagined when wishing you were still alive,” Anna cockily replied. Elizabeth’s eyes tracked over to Levi. “So...you're the strongest man alive? Pity that someone in our gene pool is so...tiny.” Levi didn't flinch at her words, but Anna did. “So it's true then?” she quietly asked. “I'm an Ackerman?”

      Her mother raised her pale head while Anna's old friends laughed and whispered. “Why, of course it is. On my side, at the very least. You see, Anna, at this very moment the entire trades system wants you.” her mother warned. “Right now, you are the most valuable thing in the world. Why do you think we had you under a moniker for the longest time? Why do you think I stuffed you in this rotten place?”

      “All because she has Ackerman blood?” Ruby questioned. “Why wouldn't someone like Levi or Mikasa be as valuable?” Anna tilted her head as her mother kicked out a chair for her daughter. “If you really wish to know, then take a seat. You're going to be here a while.” Anna was wary about her decision but in the end took a seat with Levi and Ruby taking out chairs next to her. “You're aware of who's King now, yes?”

      “I don't care about politics.” Anna replied. “Well, it's time you start caring, kusogaki.” Anna sneered at the title of “unpleasant brat”. “Because it has a whole lot to do with you.” Anna leaned her arms on her knees. “Before we get to that, I want to know how you're even alive and unharmed.”

      Elizabeth pushed back her raven hair to reveal that she, too, had heterochromia like Anna. “How do you think?” she quietly replied. “So, you get to live for a long time.” Anna cleared up. “Now where have you been?” she demanded. Elizabeth contently smiled. “Working in the Central Military Police Rank, of course. The only rank that operates entirely separate from the rest of the Walled World.”

      “It's true that they are a corrupt system but what business would have with them?” Levi chimed in. “The same business as you. Or have you not told Annie about that—”

“Do not call me Annie. It's too close to Annie Leonhart's name and I want nothing to do with her. Anna is fine.”

Her mother seemed stunned by her words but obliged. “As you wish, Anna. As I was saying, Anna does not know of your plans to overthrow the King, does she?” Anna slowly turned her head to stare at Levi. “...the... same king that...Fritz... was planning to...overthrow?”

       “Ah, yes,” her mother chuckled. “Samuel Fritz. Heir to the throne of Ymir Fritz. He knew the King was and still is a fraudulent king. These lands do not belong to him yet he rules them by turning a blind eye to the problems that are true.” Elizabeth explained. “It's true,” Ruby spoke up. “Being part of the Stohess Garrison gives me perks to eavesdrop on the upper class and the Central Military Guard. Since they're in the interior they worry not of the Titans nor those risking life and limb to reclaim Wall Maria or the lands beyond the Walls.” Ruby explained.

“In fact, as far as I've come to realize, those within the interior are spoiled and rotten people who's true enemy is each other. Puh! We worry about man versus Titan while they sit there and worry about man versus man as though nothing has changed since the Walls were erected.” she sighed. “The only thing those rich bitches care about is their luxury houses and their fancy outfits.”

Anna grunted. “Then why the hell are we fighting for them?! If humanity doesn't fear the Titans  then we should just let them get eaten!” she declared, causing her mother to laugh at her. “You're starting to sound like that Jaeger boy, Anna. Then again, something like that is exactly what we need. Something that will wake up the general public and cause them to rebel against the government. Can you think of anything?”

Ruby's eyes widened as she inhaled sharply and exhaled quickly. “Viva la revolución...” she whispered. “A revolution?” Anna's eyes glanced at Ruby, then back at her mother. “So...a revolution has been the plan for the past century?”

“Everyone has been working on it. The Survey Corps, starting out with Commander Erwin, The Underground Regiment with Rosaline Lariviere and the Violet Masqueraders with Samuel Fritz.” Anna's eyes glowered at the words her mother spoke. “Conveniently enough,” Anna sarcastically replied. “Every single one of them was eaten by a Titan. So now what?”

“Now it comes down to the two of you.” Elizabeth said, motioning between Levi and Anna. “Anna, you wanted to know of your origins, correct? Although it's true you're part Ackerman that is not the reason that you're so valuable, no. In fact, it's your Kasahara blood that makes you the most precious gem in the world. A mixture of pure blood like yourself of the strongest families in the world.”

“We owned a farm in Marley. I don't get how that makes us strong.” Anna shook her head. Everyone around her laughed, making her angry. “Anna, do you know of the Reiss family?” Anna rolled her eyes. “Don't tell me I'm related to Historia now.”

“You are not. However, are you aware that the Reiss family are technically the true royal family of Paradis?” her mother asked. Anna cocked her head to the side. “What do you mean by ‘technically’?” she demanded. “Before the Walls were erected this entire land was owned by a single family. But the King fell in love with a woman outside of his bloodline and abandoned his throne, giving it to his dearest friends the Reiss family. The previous King of Paradis moved to Marley with his wife and started a farm that they would rule over as their own kingdom. Then they had a child.”

Anna's lips parted from the pure shock running through her veins. Her lips trembled.

“And that child, for years, has been trained to take back the throne for all of Humanity.”

”