Chapter 17

Dedicated Chapter Song: Numb - Linkin Park

I've become so numb, I can't feel you there. Become so tired, so much more aware. I'm becoming this, all I want to do is be more like me and be less like you.
(Anna)

      Anna let out a sigh and sat herself down on the large stairwell that lead upstairs from the supply room

      Anna let out a sigh and sat herself down on the large stairwell that lead upstairs from the supply room. “Are you okay?” Levi asked, leaning his back against the wall beside the stairwell. Anna snorted, resting her arms on her knees. “I don't think “okay” is the right word to describe what I am right now. I can't even remember the last time I was “okay”.” she laughed a bit afterwards, somewhat maniacally. “Aaactually, scratch that. The last time I was okay was around the year 745.”

      “What are your thoughts on everything that's happened?” he rephrased his question. “My thoughts?” Anna repeated, then frowned. “My thoughts are that I'm praying I'm hallucinating. I can't believe three people have come back from the dead today. Yet countless others died just because I was ignorant and took that goddamn serum!” she slammed her fist against the concrete slab of the stairs. “All for what, huh? For over two months of hell to break loose?”

      “It's a sacrifice we were willing to make.” he replied, only glancing down at her. They spoke as comrades rather than lovers as they'd once been. “And to think... based on what Hanji and Connie said... we've been killing innocent people!” Anna's eyes were wide and shaky as she gripped onto herself. “We don't know anything for certain.” Levi reminded her.

     “But if Hanji is right... Then there's way more blood on my hands than I ever cared to think about.” footsteps began to approach them. “Anna,” Armin called. Anna turned around to look up at him at the top of the stairs. “What is it?” Armin noticed Levi watching him and gulped. “Doctor Amelia wants to see you.”

      “Amelia...” Anna spoke the woman's name on her tongue, recalling that she was the one to inform her of her pregnancy. “I'll be there in a moment.” Anna told him and Armin gave her a smile as he retreated back upstairs. “Think it's important?” Levi asked.

      “Probably,” Anna stood up, brushing off her jacket. “Otherwise why would I be called in? I'll see you around, Captain.” she headed up the stairs. When Levi was alone he slid his back down against the wall and sat crouched near the stairs. “So she remembers but she's acting like we're no more than comrades. What's she trying to gain?”

     Anna turned the corner into the infirmary. “You wished to see me, Amelia?” she smiled to the white-haired blue-eyed doctor. Amelia gave her a grieving look. “Anna...about your evaluation from earlier this morning...” Amelia looked down at her clipboard. "Results came back and well... it appears as though...” she hesitated.

     Anna was growing impatient. “What?” she crossed her arms and tapped her foot. “Get on with it!” she ordered. Amelia blinked. “Erm... I'm sorry, Annalise but... you're not pregnant.” Anna's eyes widened in shock, her mouth agape. “...what...?” she whispered. “It appears as though what you were experiencing before was simply a phantom pregnancy. In which case, you experienced all the symptoms of being pregnant without actually carrying a fetus.”