Chapter 19

Dedicated Chapter Song: The Promise - Chris Cornell

And one promise you made. One promise that always remains. No matter the price, a promise to survive. Persevere and thrive as we've always done.

(Anna)

      "Hey, four eyes," Levi spoke up later that night

      "Hey, four eyes," Levi spoke up later that night. Hanji was clutching to some strange crystallized rock until she looked over at him. "Since when are you a geologist?" His voice seemed to wake Anna up and she sat up, stretching her arms and letting out a whiny yawn. Levi's eyes glanced at her for the slightest of seconds before looking back at Hanji. "Good, you're up." Eren said. Levi ignored them both. "Or are rocks just that fascinating?" he turned his body to move a bit closer to her in order to examine the object. "Looks like you're about to drool." Hanji looked over at him, still clutching to the crystal. "What this?" she questioned. "It's not a rock." she replied sternly. "It looks like a rock to me." Anna commented, putting her arms behind her head. "It's not an ordinary one, anyway," Hanji carried on. "It's a hardened piece of skin left behind by the Female Titan."

      "We can just call her Annie, right?" Anna remarked in her sassy tone. Armin gasped. "It didn't just vanish?" Hanji looked over at him. "No." she declared excitedly. "This random fragment broke off when Annie reverted back to her human form." Hanji stared down at the rock in her hand. "It didn't evaporate. It didn't simply go 'poof'. So that got me thinking, and when I compared it with a sliver of the Wall, its texture and composition were- for all intents and purposes- virtually identical!" Anna gasped, her eyes widening at her best friend's words. "Wait, wait, so you're saying..." she tried to say, but her words weren't coming out. "In Layman's terms we're hemmed in by a barricade of enormous Titans. If my hypothesis is correct, the surface was constructed using consolidated Titan skin." 

      "You're shitting me, right?" Anna breathed. Mikasa spoke up, still a little shocked herself. "That's what Armin was trying to say." The blond boy gasped, and his three friends looked over at him. "SO THEY-" he moved to stand up, but Hanji shoved him back down. "Easy!" she warned. "It's rude to steal someone else's thunder."  her eyes glanced over at Anna. "What the hell are you looking at me for?!" Anna threw her hands in the air. Levi scoffed. "As if you didn't know."

      "As it stands," Hanji went on. "we'd be hard-pressed to find a rock big enough to plug Wall Rose." Anna and Eren exchanged glances. "It'd have to be just the right shape and size and we don't have specifics yet." Their eyes widened. Armin tried to talk, but his voice was muffled because Hanji hadn't removed her hand from his face yet. "But on the other hand, where there's a will, there's a way. Picture Eren and Anna utilizing their hardening ability while in Titan form."

      Anna's wide eyes darkened. "Hanji, I can't...I can barely control it as it is. There's no guarantee I can even harden my skin in the first place." she looked down at her hands. "I'm sorry, but Rose or Eren would be better suited for the job. Speaking, where is Rose? Wasn't she supposed to be in the carriage with us?" her head looked up and she tried to look ahead for her friend. "She chose to ride with the Garrison in order to keep an eye on her sister." Levi informed her.