.ii

—CHAPTER 2—
011

November 7, 1983Judith Edwards•

November 7, 1983
Judith Edwards

"Remember, finish chapter 12 and answer 12.3 on the difference between an experiment and other forms of science investigation." Mr. Clarke told the seventh grade class that had the whole crew in it, as student piled out due to the bell that had just rang. "This will be on the test, which will cover chapters ten through twelve. It will be multiple choice with an essay question"

Dustin, Mike, Judith, and Lucas had all circled around his desk almost bursting with excitement. Mike had then decided to speak up once they were alone, "So, did it come?"

"Sorry,boys- and girl. I hate to be the bearer of bad news... it came!" Mr. Clarke smiled as the kids ran from the classroom and into the AV room.

Mike had sat down first, as Judith, Dustin, and Lucas circled around him.

"The Heathkit ham shack." Mr.Clarke announced its name. "Ain't she a beaut?"

"I bet you can talk to New York on this thing." Dustin smirked and clicked on some buttons.

"Think bigger." Mr. Clarke stated, with had motions.

"California?" Lucas asked.

"Bigger."

"Australia?" Mike asked, as Mr.Clarke smiled and nodded. They all cheered, looking at the machine with widened eyes. This was definitely a big jump in technology for them.

"Oh, man. When Will see's this, he's totally going to blow his shit!" Judith exclaimed, laughing at how happy they were.

"Judith!" Mr.Clarke furrowed his eyebrows and crossed his arms at the foul language she had used.

"Sorry.. blow his feces." Judith pressed her lips together, showing her small dimple on her right cheek. The kids all turned knobs, and Mike slipped on some earphones and turned on the microphone.

"Hello, this is Mike Wheeler. President of Hawkins Middle AV club." Mike spoke, talking in Australian accent.

Dustin then took the earphones, and got close to the microphone as Lucas laughed and asked what he was doing.

"Hello, this is Dustin, secretary and treasurer of the Hawkins Middle AV club. Do you eat kangaroos for breakfast?" Dustin asked as Lucas tried to take the earphones, but the knocks at the door stopped the laughter.

"Sorry to interrupt, but, uh, may I borrow Micheal, Lucas, Judith, and Dustin?" The principal asked as he pointed to the four. The kids simply just stared, intimidated by the cops joined with the man in charge of the school.
-
The overlapping chatter confused the cops, and it didn't help that all the kids had rather different ways to say the exact same thing.