.xiii

— CHAPTER THRITEEN —

November 12, 1983Judith Edwards•

November 12, 1983
Judith Edwards

By the time it was dark, they had all gotten out of the car and in front of the Byer's house.

"Mike, oh my God, Mike!" Nancy smiled and ran to her little brother, giving him a hug. "I was so worried about you!"

"Yeah, uh.. me, too." Mike nodded, and the fact that he was shocked wasn't a surprise. Nancy never gave this much care to Mike. Nancy then looked over to Eleven and furrowed her eyebrows.

"Is that my dress?" She asked, and Mike looked quickly back at Nancy.

"Judith stole one of your pads!" The boy let out as everybody fell silent and it grew awkward.

"Mike!" Judith yelled and hit him on the shoulder.

҉

"Okay, so, in this example, we're the acrobat. Will and Barbara, and that monster, they're this flea. And this is the Upside Down, where Will is hiding. Mr. Clarke said the only way to get there is through a rip of time and space." Mike explained with the same illustration showed to them by their teacher.

"A gate." Dustin explained.

"That we tracked to Hawkins lab." Lucas gave out useful information, along with Mike.

"With our compasses." Dustin smiled, and noticed the weird looks from the older people. "Okay, so the gate has a really strong electromagnetic field, and that can change the directions of a compass needle."

"Is this gate under ground?" Chief asked the kids, who were unsure of what to respond with.

"Yes." Eleven whispered, but loud enough for people to hear.

"Near a large water tank?" He asked again.

"Yes." Eleven responded.

"How did you know all of that?" Judith asked.

"He's seen it." Mike realized.

"Is there any way that you could, that you could reach Will. That you could talk to him in this—."

"The Upside Down." Eleven told Joyce, and then nodded, clarifying she could speak to Will.

"And my friend , Barbara, can you find her too?" Nancy asked, receiving a small nod.

Everyone had gathered around the table, hearing Eleven focus on shuffling through the channels of the walkie talkie. The lights come in and out, and as the static fades, Elevens face drops. "I'm sorry."

"What's wrong, what happened?" Joyce asked, holding her oldest songs hand.

"I can't find them." Eleven cried and stood to use the restroom. Lucas looked at Judith and reached for her hand, thinking that they were a couple now since she held his on the bus. Judith looked down at his hand and awkwardly smiled, unaware that Mike and Dustin were staring at the two. While the jealousy was obviously coming from Dustin, Mike grew worried that the party was in jeopardy.