.ix

— CHAPTER 9 —
VALE OF SHADOWS

November 10, 1983Judith Edwards•

November 10, 1983
Judith Edwards

Judith sat on the ground of the basement, looking in front of her. The girl was trying to figure out what Will said through the radio, along with the boys.

"What was Will saying? Like home...like home..but dark?" Mike sighed and stood up to walk around the room.

"And empty." Judith and Lucas stated at the same time.

"Empty and cold. Wait did he say cold?" Dustin asked, and looked over to his Lucas.

"I don't know. The stupid radio kept going in and out." Lucas complained.

"It's like riddles in the dark." Judith groaned and got up to stretch her legs. The brunette looked over at Eleven and gave her an appreciative smile for what she did.

"Like home. Like his house?" Mike turned and asked.

"Or maybe like Hawkins!" Lucas pointed out, but was thrown off by Eleven.

"Upside down." Eleven murmured.

"What'd she say?" Lucas asked.

"Upside down! When El showed us where Will was, she flipped the board over, remember? Upside down. Dark. Empty."

"Do you understand what he's talking about?" Lucas looked over to both Judith and Dustin, as they both replied with a quick 'no'.

"Guys, come on, just think about it. When El took us to find Will, she took us to his house, right?" Mike asked and looked at Judith, basically begging her to be on his side.

"Yeah, and he wasn't there." Judith responded, leaving an annoyed expression on Mike's face.

"But what if he was there? What if we just couldn't see him? What if he was on the other side? What if this is Hawkins," Mike paused, and took the chance to flip the board over. "And this is where Will is? The upside down."

"Like the Vale of Shadows." Dustin replied as the four kids all came to the realization that this was a possibility they should consider.

Judith pulls out the Dungeons and Dragons rule book, and passes it to Dustin who claimed to be the master at those kinds of things. "The Vale of Shadows is a dimension that is a dark reflection of echo of our world. It is a place of decay and death. A plane out of phase. A place of monsters. It is right next to you and you don't even see it."