Chapter 5 - Combat Class?

•Note: Fowl language used in this chapter•

"Welcome to combat training. I'm your teacher, Professor Ur Fullbuster. Yes, I have children who attend this school if you recognize my name. I see we have a new student. Miss Heartfilia, would you like to introduce yourself?"

I stared at Professor Ur, why is she the only teacher to do this? "Um, sure." I gathered courage and walked to the front of the classroom.

"Hi, my names Lucy. Lucy Heartfilia." I stood there not knowing what to say.

"Would you like to tell the class how you came upon your ability to use magic?"

I stayed there in silence, trying to figure out how put it in a way that didn't make me seem like a wimp or a loser. The last thing I needed was to let everyone know that I was the laughing stalk of my last school. Surely that would encourage people here to continue my reputation I'm trying so desperately to leave behind.

"Well, someone tried grabbing me from behind, most likely trying to twirl me or surprise me, and their hand dug into a scar that hadn't completely closed. The scar was from a recent surgery. Nothing major. Startled, I emitted a surge of golden magic. Then I was taken to this school and here I am."

That was as simple and not-loser-like as I could put it. I felt nervous as I saw some people's expressions turn a little shocked. Whispers started, all I heard was "gold?" or "golden magic?" I didn't know if that was a bad or a good thing. I looked over at Prof. Ur, even she looked a little surprised.

"Okay. Class, you are dismissed to the locker rooms and you are to report outside in ten minutes, no later. Lucy, remain here for a moment." I freaked out internally. Why does she want to see me? The classroom cleared out.

"There's no need to panic. All honesty I didn't expect you to emit a golden wave of magic energy. Seeing your expression, you were scared about the judgment of your peers. They are just as shocked as I am. Emitting a surge of golden magical energy, on accident and your first try nonetheless, is rare. Think of it as we were surprised in a good way. Locker 38 in the girls locker room down the hall has all the stuff you need in it for my class. Be ready and on the field in eight minutes, no later. You are dismissed."

So am I like really special or something? Emitting a golden surge of energy is rare? I have some questions for mom later...

I made my way in the locker room. I didn't notice earlier, but Cana was in my class. I didn't see any other familiar faces, but she was talking to a girl with long, green hair. I walked over towards her, turns out my locker was right next to hers. "Lucy! I want you to meet someone! Bisca, this is my friend Lucy. Lucy, Bisca!"

"Hi, Bisca, nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too, Lucy."

I opened my locker after greetings were finished and found a ton of stuff. There were a few outfits that apparently we have to take home and wash, several dumbbells that differed in weight, and a lot of other stuff that looked like gym, workout materials. Suddenly, the door opened to the locker room, and a voice shouted "Five minutes! 10 pound weights today!"

Must've been Prof. Ur. I quickly changed into the outfit provided and grabbed two 10 pound dumbbells. I looked over at Cana in confusion and asked her "Wait, two 10 pound dumbbells or two 5 pound dumbbells to equal 10?"