Chapter 24 - The Truth Unravels

Lucy's POV

We finally reached the car where Gray set me down and immediately handed me his phone. I dialed the number I had memorized since the second grade. I held his phone close to my ear and heard the person on the other line speak.

"Layla Heartfilia speaking."

"Mom? It's Lucy."

"Hey, who's phone is this? What happened to yours?"

Oh boy, this'll be fun.

"I, uh, I may have dropped it..."

"And it cracked so bad to the point you can't use it?" She questioned.

"No, I, uh... I dropped it in water..."

"Oh. I'd be amazed if it did still work. I'll get you a new one. You can last a few days without it, right?"

"Yeah. Thanks, I just wanted to call and check in since I can't text. I gotta go now."

"All right, see you soon."

I hung up before she started to ponder up more questions to ask. I turned and faced Gray who seemed to have been watching me the entire time.

"What?" He eyed me up and down. Then he smirked.

"You look good in that shirt."

I smiled. "Thanks, I borrowed it from some guy I know."

"Oh yeah? What's this guy like?"

"Well, for starters, he's a life savor... literally. Which, by the way, thanks."

"Don't mention it."

I smiled at him and walked over to him. As soon as I reached him, I hugged him.

He hesitated slightly before he hugged me back. "Thanks again, Gray... I don't know what I'd do without you... which actually reminds me. How are you everywhere?"

Gray shrugged. "I guess I just go where I feel like it. You just happen to be around every corner I turn, but hey, I ain't complaining."

We hugged in silence for a moment before I started asking him questions.

"How did you know I was in the water?"

"How about I tell you what happened while I take you home. Not really in the mood to get killed by one of your parents, heh."

I walked around to the passenger side while Gray got settled in the driver's seat.

"Well... here's my side of the story..." Gray started.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gray pulled up by the sidewalk before my house. I sat there, not knowing what to say. I couldn't believe that Juvia had tried doing that... I knew she still had a thing for Gray, but to think she'd go that far? I looked down at my lap and realized I couldn't go into my house like this: wearing Gray's shirt with nothing under but a bathing suit.

I tried distracting my mind with this, though I know the whole Juvia incident will be the main topic that runs through my head.

I looked over at Gray. "The whole Juvia incident aside, for now, I can't walk into my house like this. For sure, my father will probably hunt you down and kill you himself, most likely assuming the worst."

"I mean, I don't have any pants you can borrow. Maybe text Levy to run down and bring you a pair to borrow? I can probably drive by her house really quick if it's a yes."

"Sounds good. May I borrow your phone again?"

He chuckled. "Yeah, go for it."

"Um, what's your password?"

Gray froze for a moment.

He cleared his throat. "Capital M-i-k-a89-05'..."

I typed his password after he spelt it and realized it was a name of a girl.

I looked over to him. "Who's Mika?"

Gray looked down, like it was a sensitive topic. I thought back to the numbers and realized that the numbers could've been the end of a year. That's when I realized that it was a girls name and the she year was born to the year she died. I gasped faintly.

"I-I'm sorry for your loss..." I decided to say.

"Heh, you pick up on the little things, don't you? No one's ever picked up on that immediately..."

I started a new text chat with Levy:

Levy McGarden

Hey, can I ask a favor of you?

Of course, as long as it isn't hooking you up with Lucy, but I'm all ears.

This is Lucy, btw. Long story short I'm borrowing Gray's phone for now. Anyways, all I have on is a bathing suits and a borrowed shirt, any chance I can borrow a shirt and pants so my parents don't murder Gray? I'll explain more later.

Oh, sure thing, Luce. Stop by whenever. I'll wait on the porch for you and u can even use my bathroom. C u soon.

Thanks so much. I owe yah.

I handed the phone back to Gray. "She said she'll let me borrow an outfit."

"Alright..." Gray pulled away from my house and started driving towards Levy's.

After a few minutes, we pulled up to her house and I watched as she stood up from sitting on her front porch. I noticed she was wearing pajama pants and a tank top.

Gray parked the car. "Go ahead, I'll wait here."

"Thanks a million." I smiled at him and got out, heading over to Levy as she guided me to her bedroom bathroom so I could tell her what happened.

Gray's POV

I watched as Lucy walked into Levy's house. I couldn't stop thinking about Mika. Of all the times I have given my phone password out, no one has thought to question it. I tried thinking of something else aside from her, until a thought crossed me: Lucy leaves in one month. This month has flew by like a blink of an eye. I can't believe she's gonna be moving. Even after a month I still can't comprehend it.

I need to do something for her. I need her to stay. I can't bare being apart from her.

And so that's what I'd did. I thought of something I could do-anything. I thought about when Lucy got back in the car and when I drove her home.

"Night Gray." She interrupted my thoughts as I parked the car back at her driveway.

"Night Lucy." I smiled back to her. I watched as she grabbed onto the door handle and paused.

"Hey, sorry for bringing up, um, Mika... I realize it was a touchy topic and I shouldn't have asked about her seeing as it was a personal thing." She went to open the door when I quickly locked it from my side before I could react to her apology.

"Don't apologize, you didn't know. I'm sure I'll tell you sometime who she is, but not right now." I gave her a warm but sad smile as she nodded and then left.

I watched her walk down her driveway and into her home.

The rest of the car ride to my own home was silent, my mind pondering from thought to thought about either Mika or Lucy.