Carl Edwards

A/N Boy am I glad I got a request for Nice Guy Carl. He's adorable. Also,I realize this is not how he walked away from the sport, use your imaginations. Quick warning, super cheesy... Enjoy, loves <3

I smiled as I watched Carl cross the stage. He had told everyone he needed to announce something as the season nearly came to a close. There were 6 races left, and he hadn't even told me what it was yet. I stood in the back of the crowd, grinning up at him as I smoothed out my red dress.

Carl and I are a thing-- unbeknownst to the media. Which sucks because during the NASCAR season, the media is crawling everywhere except for the bathrooms and his own motorhome-- but they do linger around the campground so it's hard. It also sucks because when he gets in a crash, I'm not technically allowed to freak out and make a scene because to the media and all the fans--I don't exist. 

Which is kinda bizarre considering Carl and I have kept us a secret since the beginning of the last off-season. And before that, we were good friends for at least 6 months. 

"Hi, hello everybody." Carl smiled, gazing out at the crowd, trying to ignore the flashing of cameras. "So, because I've got limited time with this speech, uh... regretfully, I'll get to the point. While this isn't something I'm stoked about, it's what I have to do. After the rest of the season, I won't be returning for the next NASCAR season." My smile dropped as hushed whispers began to overlap around the crowd. "I've spoken with my crew and family, and they've all agreed and have been very supportive." He trailed off, eyes finding mine. I felt my heart skip as I stumbled backward against the doorway.

Everyone except for me

"While I'd like to list off a million reasons... I can't. One of the big reasons is I've made it this far without a life-shattering crash. I'd like to leave the season on a good note-- even if that means no championship this season or future seasons. While I'm stepping away, I'd like to thank...."  

I stepped back out of the room and frowned deeply, running my fingers through my hair. If this is why Carl has been so tentative and strange these last few weeks, I don't understand. 

I walked to the garage, my heels scraping against the concrete as I passed NASCAR officials teams, drivers, and late-night photographers. I faintly smiled at a couple as I slipped through the door, gazing down at the 19 car. I leaned against it while biting my lip. There was only a dim light coming from Carl's crew chief's office, and he wasn't even in there. He must be at the speech thing.

I didn't wait too long alone in the garage. Not long after, Carl walked in, shutting and locking the door behind him. He pulled the blind down it so no photos could be taken of us and he turned back to me. "Sara, don't be mad." He sighed and walked closer.

"I'm not... I'm not mad." I shook my head, clenching my jaw momentarily before pushing myself off of the car and walking over to him. "Why didn't you tell me you wanted to step away? Aren't I somewhat your family? At least somewhat? B-because I know you're mine... You're all of mine, and I love you, and after all of this time of being together, I feel like we're at least something similar to a family.. But if you don't feel like we're--"

"Sara!" he cut me off, placing his hands on either side of my face. I stopped talking, my lips still parted slightly. "Relax, baby girl, relax..." he laughed softly and I let out a soft breath and shrugged my shoulders. "You are my family. And if I could've told you, I would have, I swear that to you." 

"I don't understand... Why could you have told your family but not me?"

"Because I had to write down everyone I was telling for my crew chief and the rest of the guys. If I wrote down your name, they'd all know something was up. I know you don't want any attention from the fans on you. And if I didn't tell them and still told you-- well, Sara, you know how bad a liar I am." He sighed and shook his head. 

"Okay..." I trailed off and he smiled softly, sliding his hands down my shoulders before lacing our fingers together with both hands. 

"What's on your mind?"

"Nothing, just... just okay." I shook my head.

"Sara, what's on your mind?" he asked again, raising a brow and smiling softly. I looked up at him and sighed.

"I just can't believe you want to walk away from the sport. It's what you love to do, you love racing!"

"Yeah, but I love you more. If racing means I have a 50, 50 shot at getting hurt and hurting you, then I'm eliminating that factor. You mean more to me than racing, and you mean more to me than the publicity." I opened my mouth to argue but he stopped me. "And don't you dare feel guilty for this. I love you, and I love us. I don't ever want racing to get in the middle of us. That's what it's doing. I need to move on. I started with racing, and I'm ending with you. You and me, we're gonna get married, buy a house-- hell, maybe even two! We'll get a dog and cat, and we'll travel together. We'll go everywhere until we can't, and when we can't.. well, we'll lay side by side in the damn nursing home happy and just as in love as we are now. I'm not leaving NASCAR for you. I'm leaving NASCAR for us; for our future."

"Did you prepare that?" I sniffled, bowing my head and chuckling softly.

"Kinda, yeah..." he laughed and reached up, brushing my hair out of my face. "At least ten times in the mirror this morning alone. It originally started off with "Sara, my love for you is even greater than it is for NASCAR, and even greater than the sport itself". I threw that out the window after four times of me saying it to myself. It sounded too cheesy." We laughed softly, a tear slipping down my cheek. He gently set his hand on my cheek and leaned down, hovering just above my lips. "You and me, Sara." He met my lips, kissing me softly. "We're gonna be the happiest people in the world." He kissed me again, sweetly; delicately.

We pulled away and he slipped his arms around my waist and pulled me close. I sunk into his chest and buried my face in his suit. "I love you," I whispered softly and he squeezed me close, resting his head atop of my head.

"Have I mentioned how beautiful you look tonight?" he asked softly, placing a kiss on my head. I smiled and looked up.

"Hmm, not that I know off..." I smiled, wiggling my brows. He laughed softly, running his hand up my back.

"You're looking absolutely gorgeous, Gorgeous." He laughed as he kissed me softly.

"Thank you very much, Handsome."

A/N So, thanks for reading. This was for Sara_Bryan_. I hope you enjoyed!!!!!