35 - "that night in the car"

Reality

After a whole day of sleeping and watching cartoons on TV, Blair laid bored out of his mind in his bed, occasionally sipping on chicken noodle soup.

He was surprised to hear a knock on his front door. His dad wasn't supposed to be home until 9:00pm and even if it was him, he wouldn't have to knock.

Blair went downstairs and opened the door to see Nolan, his face showing obvious concern at how pale and and tired his boyfriend looked.

"Hey, babyboy." Blair tried his best to sound and look normal so Nolan wouldn't worry too much. He didn't want to contribute to Nolan's anxiety levels. "What's up?"

"I made you something," Nolan said and Blair opened up the door wider so he could come in.

Nolan headed into the kitchen and opened up his backpack, taking out a container. "It's banana bread. It's the only thing I know how to make that actually turns out good."

Blair's stomach flipped upside down at how cute his boyfriend was but his heart ached for what he had to tell him. "Thank you, baby. But... I don't think I can eat it."

"What?" Nolan looked disappointed. "Why not?"

"Well, usually banana bread has-"

"Nuts. Oh my God I'm so stupid." Nolan dropped the container on the kitchen island and pouted, looking like he was about to cry.

Quickly, Blair pulled him into a hug. "It's okay, you just forgot. You can make me something else next time."

"How can I just forget what my boyfriend is allergic to?" Nolan questioned himself as he ended the hug.

"Don't worry about it. Why don't you come upstairs. My dad won't be home for a while," Blair offered and the two boys went upstairs.

The minute they got in Blair's room, he laid down because of how much his muscles ached while Nolan sat down and let the shorter boy put his head on his lap.

"I'm sorry about today," Blair said.

"You're apologizing for being sick?" Nolan laughed.

"Not for being sick. For Liam kind of taking over before you could even ask if I was okay."

"Oh," Nolan said flatly. "Don't worry about it. You're his best friend, he has a right to be just as worried as me."

"I'm gonna talk to him tonight. He didn't have to be that extra. Plus, you're my boyfriend not him. You're the only one who can pull me around in a time of panic," Blair said with a goofy smile.

Nolan smiled as well. "Does Liam like me?" He quickly changed the subject.

"Of course he does. I think he might just be a little insecure. Before you, I relied on Liam for everything. But now that I have you, I don't need him like I did before. I don't think he knows how to take it," Blair explained.

"That makes sense," Nolan said with a nod. "I've always liked Liam. I still feel bad for beating him up with Gabe that one time. But he's really nice. I don't know what I would have done without that one night in the car."

Blair took his head off Nolan's lap and sat up so he was facing his boyfriend. "What night in the car?"

"He never told you?" Nolan wondered. "After everything that happened and Gabe... died, Liam drove me home from the hospital. I was upset because of Gabe and by the time we got to my house, I was bawling my eyes out. He sat outide my house with me for probably forty-five minutes. He comforted me the whole time and told me it wasn't my fault. That's when we decided to be co-captains instead of always competing."

"W-wow," Blair stuttered. "He never told me that."

"Maybe don't bring it up to him. He might not want you to know," Nolan said.

Blair nodded. "Yeah. Maybe."