Chapter 8- Talking Picnic

Still Nate's POV

I set up the blanket while Lizzy puts down the basket. We both sit down on the blanket together. I honestly really like her. "I don't wanna get adopted." she says. "I'm always here for you," I say. "I won't let you go."

I smile and she smiles. Then we lean in and it happens. We kiss.

She breaks the kiss quickly and gets a watermelon out of the basket. "That never happened." she says. "Sure." I say.

Lizzy's POV

OMG. WE JUST KISSED! OF COURSE I WAS THE ONE TO BREAK IT! I AM SO MAD AT MYSELF!

"Sorry." I say. I know he wants to be with me, and I wanna be him! But... I just wanna talk for now.

"So! What's up?" I ask, breaking the awkward silence. "Um, nothing. Just trying to save you."

Weird.

He still wants to kiss me. I mean, yeah, we both like each other! But we should wait.

"We shouldn't wait." he says.

"For what?"

"Our love! Lizzy, I love you!"

"You too, man, but it's too early, ya know?"

"Not quite."

Of course. I take a bite of my watermelon and think. "Please, can you go out with me?" he asks, making me choke on my food. "Listen, I can't do this right now." I say. Then I get up and leave, proud that I took my watermelon with me.

"Wait! Liz!" I hear Nate yell. I walk faster. Soon I'm running.

Nate's POV

As Liz runs away from me, I sit here and talk to myself.

Having my own Picnic Talk.

Shut up.

Okay, okay, I'll get with it. But what should I do about Liz?

I don't know, text her?

Stop and help me!

Okay, okay, okay! I don't know!

Thanks for the help.

No problem. It's what brains are for.

Ugh. Yeah, the dumb ones.

Hey!

I'll just wait for her to get back to me.

Lizzy's POV

Just as I get home I close the door. "Hi." says Dad. "Hi, Dad."

I look around the room. "Where's Katy?"

"Don't know. I called Shannon, but she says she hasn't seen Katy, unfortunately." I clear my throat. "Don't you mean fortunately?"

Dad gives me a questioning look. "So I won't have to go to Judy's." I say.

"Sorry, you are already on the list." says Dad. Then a tear streams down his right eye. What? My father wouldn't just let this happen! He loves me! "Dad, you're joking, right? Tell me you're joking!"

My dad frowns at me. "I'm really, truly sorry. But Katy already put you on the list."

And he isn't getting me off?

I decide to run to my room and text Nate. Makes things easier. I have a million text saying that Nate loves me and big long stories about his he loves me. I'm guessing he has a crush on me. LOL!

Nate's POV

FINALLY! She's answering my texts! She says she is coming to finish the picnic! Then I see a shadow covering me. Liz! But it's not Liz. It's one of the biggest bullies around the block. "Mikey?" I ask. "Give me your money." He says. "Oh, um, alright." I reach into my pocket for my wallet, but I'm too late.

He is holding me by my feet and shaking me waiting for some change to fall out. "Stop! Put me down!" He will make me look bad in front of Liz. Then I hear a familiar voice say,"You better put him down!" Liz!

He drops me onto the ground. Ow.

"What are you gonna do about it?" asks Mikey. "This!" yells Liz and she trips him and makes him fall hard.

"I, um, bye!" yells Mikey and he leaves in a jiffy.

"Um, thanks." I say. "No prob."

I look down. "I'm sorry, I just really like you! No matter how hard I try I-" Then she kisses me! Just like that!

She breaks the kiss and says,"I love you too."