The Chosen One

As they traveled up the dangerous path to the Domain, Emery used her perfect aim to one-shot all of the monsters on their way. Some were just a little more than they wanted to take on, so they avoided them by hurrying up through the path. The rain wouldn't stop, and she wondered if anyone would ever come to their rescue in taming Vah Ruta. It would be a dangerous job, yes, but it wouldn't be dangerous for a Champion. There had to be something she could do, maybe Link was right. So, she continued to sit impatiently on the back of the horse and await their arrival to the Domain.

Soon enough, they did arrive. The path was nothing for the two of them to take on together. She shot the enemies dead between the eyes, every time. Link was simply amazed at her skills. Part of it, because she was indeed a girl. He'd never came across a woman who fought, he knew it was a rarity; Let alone as well as she did. He knew he had to be decent with a sword to be who he is, but she was incredible with one. She must've been better, so why wasn't she the hero chosen by the Gods? His role didn't make the least bit of sense to him. He just hoped his so called experience didn't fail him in the time of need. Like now, when he was going to set out to board Vah Ruta. None of that he bothered to tell Emery, he didn't need to tell her. He couldn't find a reason to inform her on his being.

She showed him to the King and Prince Sidon, as he requested. "Emery! It's very good to see you. Why, you haven't come around in awhile, we wondered if you were okay." The King spoke boldly. His voice echoed against the walls.

"I was performing many tasks for the Gerudo people, my apologies." She replied, giving him a small bow.

"No need, you aren't in our debt. But he is." He replied, looking at Link. She turned to face him, and he looked shocked to know the King knew him. She wondered why he did too, but she knew there had to be some sort of explanation. "By the look on your face, it doesn't seem you remember me."

"I don't remember anything or anyone." Link confessed. "I've been informed, but nothing is quite making much sense to me."

The King tapped his fins on his chin. "Well, we're glad to see you in one piece, Link. How have you survived all this time? We thought all the Champions were dead."

She swung around quickly to look at him. His mouth fell slightly agape when she raised her voice at him. "You're..." How did she not notice before? The tunic, the name, the Sheikah Slate, the swordsmanship. "You're the hero chosen by the Gods, aren't you?"

He gave her a simple nod. "I suppose so." She let out an agitated sigh, and left the King and Link behind. She made her way to the fountain of Mipha, which she assumed Link didn't remember her either. That was truly tragic, seeing as the only one Mipha ever loved was Link. She and Prince Sidon, when they took a break from their work, would talk about such things. He gave her an interesting perspective on who Mipha really was. She felt as if she actually knew her personally.

Link frowned as Emery left in a huff, he wondered why she was so mad about that. He turned back to the King, looking for an explanation. "She always wanted to help out, you know? She was raised by Impa and the Sheikah people after she appeared in Kakariko Village, just a small baby. It was almost eighty years after the arise of Calamity Ganon, she was a Hylian who made it out alive. She never got to meet her parents, due to the rise of Calamity Ganon. And because of that, she hates him with everything in her being. Her whole life she's dedicated to becoming the best warrior she can. She wants nothing more than to defeat Ganon herself, but she knew she never could since she wasn't a Champion."

Link was amazed by the story of her, it was like something out of a book. Still, he wondered why she was so mad at him in particular.

"As time went on, and she got older, she learned more and more about the Champions, Calamity Ganon, the Sheikah technology, and all the Divine Beasts. She learned about you, Link, and she wished nothing more than to be who you are. She wanted to be the hero chosen by the Gods, so she could save Hyrule and fill the empty hole in her soul. But instead, it was you, and you were dead. She never liked you, because you were the hero chosen, and she wasn't. She didn't have the opportunities you had, and she felt you didn't use them gratefully." He explained.

Link nodded simply, then looked back in the direction she went. He didn't want her to be angry, but what could he do? She had this false idea of him in her head, how was he meant to change that? Maybe he had to prove himself to her, but now wasn't the time. He was here on important business from Princess Zelda. Which required an important conversation with the king and Prince Sidon. "I want to help tame Vah Ruta."

"What?" The King replied, extremely surprised. Sidon grinned.

"So you truly are the hero chosen by the Gods my father speaks of. Only a Champion would do something like that." He shot Link another pleased grin, his teeth so white they sent a sparkle of shine with it.

"Link, if you wish to do so, you'll need shock arrows. Ruta's electric supply has run out, which is why there's no water control and she's infinitely raining water. You'll need to shoot electric into each of the receivers on her back. From then on, you do what you must." The King explained. Link nodded, but knew he wasn't very good with a bow... But Emery was.

"Do you think Emery could help?" He asked the King.

"You're the Champion here, you should know whether she has a place or not." He replied. Link gave a simple nod and thought. She had a place in his mind, he promised her there had to be a way she could help.

"Link," Prince Sidon began. "once you get enough shock arrows, you'll need at least twenty, meet me by Vah Ruta. Also, here. Take this."

Link acquired the Zora armor, then with a simple nod to him, he continued on to find where Emery had went. She was going to shoot the arrows, and he would defend her and Sidon while she did. Then, that was going to get him on Ruta. That had to work. He found her sitting at a fountain, which he presumed was Mipha. The rain dripped off her hood. He approached her, but she didn't look up at him so he couldn't see her face. The light slightly shown on her plump lips. He opted to sit down next to her on the fountain. From there, in silence, he looked up at the statue. He squinted at it for a minute, then something occurred to him. It was a memory that Impa was talking about. He and Mipha had a great bond, so great they'd known each other since they were kids, and she healed him with her powers every chance she got.

"Are you alright?" Emery asked, bringing Link out of his thoughts. He looked over at her, and still her face was covered. Her mouth was slightly agape with concern.

"I'm fine." He replied, regathering himself. "Do you think you could help me?"

"You shouldn't need any help, you're the hero chosen by the Gods." She replied in an upset tone. He frowned at her.

"It's not like I chose to be the hero." He sighed. It was unfair to him that she was acting this way. It wasn't his fault.

"But you are, and that's exactly my point. You're the hero, and you're not using it to your advantage. You can save us, but you're not! Do you know how lucky you are to be who you are? I don't think you do." As she spoke more and more, raising her voice, her hood pulled off her head slightly, revealing her eyes. They were large as she spoke, and evident with passion for the topic.

"I came here to board Vah Ruta, and tame her so I can take her back from Ganon's control." He replied. She stared at him.

"Then what do you need my help with?" She crossed her arms.

"To tame her."