Run From Me

Throughout the night, Link held Emery close to him. She rested her head on his chest, listening to his beating heart. She was so thankful that he was alive. It made her restless all night, thinking about what could've happened because of her. She came to the firm conclusion that he was better off without her. No distractions- for either of them. She wouldn't have to worry about him dying on her watch anymore. She wanted to save him, but she knew she would never be the one to save him. She was just too much of a failure. She would inevitably be his demise one way or another.

In the middle of the night, when she was sure he'd been sound asleep for a while, she gently and slowly pulled away from him. She quietly got out of bed and made it out of the house without him knowing- hopefully. She found somewhere to go, and put on all her armor. She knew it was going to be a long night.

She obtained a horse which she knew wasn't going to be as good as Charlie, the only horse she'd ever had. She cursed those monsters for running her horse off. Then she could've escaped Link and this whole thing. She just kept wondering if this whole time he would've been better off without her. She wouldn't be able to forgive herself for what she'd done. It was such an idiotic thing to do. In the middle of the battle- in the middle of an important shot- she checked to see what Link was doing. She let her feelings get into the way. This was why she didn't want to fall for him in the first place, but she had. How could she not? He was the only person who'd ever expressed that he cared about her. He was gorgeous, and he was the hero, for God's sake! How was she supposed to just ignore him? How was she was supposed to ignore her feelings? She was never any good at that, anyways.

After resting at the Inn- she sat there until it was daytime- she set out on her way. What was she going to do? She had no idea. She needed to do something good, that she knew she couldn't mess up. She opted to go to the Zora Domain, and see if she could do any tasks for the king. Like she used to do. Upon arrival, she was greeted by Prince Sidon.

"Lady Emery!" He approached her. Lady? Was that how she was being greeted nowadays? "Congratulations on taming the other two Divine Beasts! But, may I ask, what are you doing here when there's still one more left to tame?"

"Those were Link, not me." She lied. "I'm here to help, of course. Like usual."

"Really?" He asked. "Well, uh, I'm sure my father has something for you to do."

"Great." She nodded, following him to where his father sat.

When Link awoke, there was no one by his side. He sat up, his wound not hurting nearly as bad as the day before. Normally it would hurt worse, but his body must be getting more use to healing wounds. He threw his legs over the side of the bed, and spotted a white piece of paper with his name written in beautiful cursive letters on the side table. He picked it up, quickly unfolding it. He would admit he was worried about her. As he read it, he almost thought his heart had stopped beating from his panic.

Link,
Please don't come looking for me. What I'm doing is for you, and everyone else in this world. You're truly better off without me, and please believe me when I say that.
-Emery

He shook his head with disbelief. How could she do something like this? She knew that wasn't true, didn't she? He got out of bed, pulling on his freshly washed tunic (it smelt like strawberries.) He rushed to Epona, bringing all his stuff with him. It was a huge world, and now he didn't know where to start. If he were Emery, where would he go? Then it hit him.

On the path up to the Zora Domain, he realized it wasn't nearly as dangerous as the first time he ventured through. Either Emery had been here like he suspected and she cleared it out, or with Ruta's infinite downpour put to end, it was much safer. He didn't know which, it could even be both.

When he got to the Domain, he put Epona out of the way and rushed to the King. There stood Prince Sidon right next to him.

"Link! What brings you here?" Sidon asked.

"I was wondering if either of you have seen Emery?" He asked urgently.

"She's clearing out some monsters, why?" Prince Sidon had worry all over his face. Link didn't know why he was so worried about her anyways, he barely knew her...

"Because, I need her help." Link replied.

"I think I can take you to her, follow me." He said. Link mentally groaned as he followed him. He didn't want his help, he wanted to meet with Emery alone.

"Actually-" Link stopped him. "I think I see her now."

"Oh..." He mumbled. "I was hoping to see her anyways, so I might come along."

"I was hoping to see her alone." Link replied, his eyes narrowed. Why was he acting this way all the sudden? What were these feelings of... Jealousy?

"Uh," Sidon trembled with intimidation. "Okay. Good luck!"

Link watched with content as he dashed off. From there, he climbed down the mountains and under the bridge. There, he spotted Emery talking to one of the Zora's. She was good at talking to people, and Link wished he had that skill. As he admired her, he really saw her beauty. The light shined on her pearly white teeth, making them sparkle along with her emerald green eyes. He'd never met a Hylian with eyes any color but at least dark blue. It was nice to see hers, and it reminded him just how much of a treasure she was. She was as beautiful as a real Goddess, he imagined. It was then that it occurred to him that he didn't want to be without her. Maybe, just maybe, he was developing feelings for her.

He approached her gently, so maybe she wouldn't freak out when she saw him. "I'm glad I could be of help!" Emery grinned brightly at the Zora.

"Oh, Lady Emery, I'm forever in your debt, more than I was when you saved us from Ruta's downpour. Here, take these as a sign of my appreciation. I insist." Link watched as the Zora handed her three hundred rupees.

"Oh," Emery's eyes widened. "You don't have to do that, I'm honored to help! Also, there's no need to call me Lady Emery."

"But you are Lady Emery." The Zora woman smiled. "Anyways, much thanks for your help! I should get back to my husband!"

Emery watched as the Zora swam quickly away, and her bright smile faded. It was then that Link realized it was never a real one.

"Lady Emery has a nice ring to it." Link commented as he snuck up on her. She was so startled that she almost fell into the water, but he caught her. If he hadn't, she would've surely been caught by the draft and dragged down the waterfall, inevitably meeting her demise.

"Link!" She exclaimed. She pushed him off her, which made him groan slightly. "I-I'm sorry, you scared me half to death!"

"You don't owe me an apology, I owe you one." He replied.

"What? What are you talking?" She asked, confusion written all over her face.

"I didn't realize you felt like I was better off without you. You know that's not true, right?" He asked. She remained silent. "Emery, how could you think that? You're obviously needed. Even Zelda thinks so-"

"What's it matter what she thinks?" Emery blurted out. He was taken back by her outburst. She always seemed to get moody at the mention of Zelda, but he couldn't figure out why.

"I'm just trying to prove my point." He said calmly. She let out a long sigh.

"You weren't supposed to find me." She mumbled.

"You didn't think I'd come looking for you?" He cracked a smile.

"No." She replied, her lips flat.

"I need you, Emery. I can't take on this last beast without you. I can't fight Ganon without you. Please, don't run from me." He begged.

"I don't want something like that to happen again." She gestured to his stomach.

"It won't, I'm sure you've learned from your mistake." He replied. She chewed her lip nervously. He stuck his hand out to her. "Let's go take back the last Divine Beast, together."

She was hesitant, but nonetheless took his hand. He pulled her close and looked her in the eyes. Then he pulled her in for a tight hug.

"After this, Ganon is over with." He said. She nodded in agreement.