Baggage

When Emery awoke, she looked to see no one by her side. She frowned slightly. She climbed out of bed, although she was a million times more sore than yesterday. The pain had really set in over night. She walked downstairs to find Link sitting on the couch. Of course he was reading his book. "Good morning."

"Morning." She replied quietly. He could tell by the way she was walking that she was in pain. It was something he knew all too well.

"Maybe you should lay back down? I don't think I'm going to Goron City today, anyways." He decided. He jumped up to help her back to bed.

"Really?" She asked. "Haven't we no time to waste?"

"He's been held off this long, right? It's a ticking time bomb, but I don't think one more day will test our luck." He assured her, giving her a small smile. She nodded and laid down into bed. He pulled the cover over her. "You need to heal."

"I don't want to hold you back." She whispered, a lump in her throat. Again, she felt like such a disappointment. He frowned at her.

"You're not. I'd much rather prefer to go tomorrow." He said. She gave him a look. "I promise."

"Okay." She mumbled. When he began to walk back downstairs, she freaked. "Hey, w-wait!" He turned towards her. "Aren't you going to keep me company?"

"You want my company?" He seemed surprised. She nodded. "Are you sure?"

"Yes, I am." She said. She watched as he sat down on his side of the bed. "What are you always reading?"

"Stuff about Hyrule. All the legends of the hero. There are so many stories, I wonder if any of them are true or just variations." He spoke, and hearing him so fond of a topic made her overjoyed, for some reason.

"Have you read the one about the twilight?" She asked. He nodded.

"I think that one is quite interesting. It would be crazy if it actually happened. I don't know what I'd do then." He replied with a light chuckle.

"Doesn't the hero turn into a Divine Beast when he enters the twilight?" She asked. He nodded. "I bet you'd be a cute dog."

His face turned red, even if it was a poor compliment. "Uh, thanks."

"Sorry." She mumbled.

"Oh, no, it's..." He sighed as he didn't know what to say.

"Do you remember your childhood?" She asked. He shook his head.

"I don't remember much." He replied.

"What do you remember?"

"I remember my parents." He mumbled. "My father was a knight and I followed in his footsteps. My mother was nice, but I don't remember anymore than that."

"I'm happy that you remember yours." She gave him a genuine smile.

"Emery, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to-"

"It's okay. Don't apologize." She said. He nodded. He pulled his book out and began reading now. She laid on her side, facing him. She watched as he read quickly. Not wanting to interrupt him, she drifted off to sleep again. Before she knew it, she was being gently shook back to consciousness.

"Are you hungry?" He asked her as she rubbed her eyes. Of course, she nodded. She hadn't eaten in a little while. Now that she was thinking about it, it had been quite sometime. "Good, I made some food."

"Is it edible?" She snorted. He huffed as he walked down the stairs, completely forgetting about her condition. It was no big deal, as she didn't expect his help anyways. She hobbled down the stairs and to the living area. Taking a seat on the opposite side of the couch from Link, he handed her a plate. It was a lovely steak dinner with mushrooms and hearty radishes. "So, you're a good cook?"