Nightmares

"Aren't you exhausted after that?" Emery inquired as Link ran around, climbing trees for apples. She was sitting on Epona, petting her lovingly. The sun was shinning brightly down on them. It was hard to really feel the warmth of it when the eerie feeling of looking at Hyrule Castle sends chills down your back.

"A hero never abandons his duties for a second," He replied, hopping down off the tree after he cleared it of all it's apples. "That's something you must learn."

She narrowed her eyes at him, and he laughed a bit. He handed her one of the apples and placed his arm on the top of Epona, leaning on her slightly. Both of them ate their snacks in a comfortable silence, and stared off to where Calamity Ganon currently housed. He noticed she was starring also, and it was no doubt- to him- that she was meant to be a part of this battle. She may be a girl, but to him that didn't make her any less of a warrior and a hero than he is. Even if she wasn't chosen by the Gods she was still just as much as worthy as him. "Do you really think we'll be able to tame all the Divine Beasts?"

"I have no doubts about it." He replied, as dark clouds started to appear. She frowned looking at it. That ruins their whole trip. They would be better off remaining indoors as it pasts by the looks of it. She moved out of the way so Link could take his place on Epona. He rushed her off in the direction of an Inn. They were currently a short distance away from Kakariko Village, so they would take shelter there. Impa would be glad to see them okay, and hear news of Ruta being Hyrule's once again. Although, it probably wouldn't be news to her. She was probably aware when it happened, and Ruta took her rightful place.

The two ventured on and made it to Kakariko Village just in time. Link put Epona in one of the stables and they entered the Inn together. The rain hit the moment after they stepped in. It was all at once, a hard downpour. Lightning struck brightly out the window, and was soon followed after a loud, startling boom of thunder. This might've been one of the worst storms Emery had ever encountered, which wasn't a good sign at all. She looked over at Link who was looking around wildly. Suddenly, he looked out the window. She followed him, curious as to what he was so urgent to see. They looked up at the sky to see an eerie, dark red moon. "Link..?"

"It's a blood moon." He confirmed. "In this moment, every monster resurrects and Calamity Ganon is at his most powerful."

"That doesn't sound pleasant.." Emery mumbled. They approached the front desk to purchase themselves a bed for the night. Although, the place looked very packed and she didn't think she could spot one bed for either of them.

"Hello! May I help you?" The woman said. Link nodded. "We have one bed left, the soft bed."

"Only one?" Emery asked with a small sigh. She turned to Link. Even though she was feeling exhausted, he had done more than her today. "You can have it."

He looked surprised. "No, you can, I insist. I'd be a horrible person if I were selfish enough to take the bed from you."

"No-" Emery began, but was soon interrupted by the lady.

"Why don't you, uh, share? The bed is plenty big enough for the two of you. Considering the circumstances, I'm sure it won't be a big deal." She concluded for the two of them. They looked at each other hesitantly.

"It's fine with me if it's fine with you..." She mumbled. Link nodded, and the lady took his rupees. That genuinely upset Emery, as she didn't like to be taken care of by others. She had been independent all her life, and she didn't want to start depending on someone else now.

They found their bed and placed their stuff down next to it. There were many bathrooms supplied with toilets and showers. It may be a good idea for Emery to use them. The storm and the blood moon were no good, but maybe she could use it to her advantage. She grabbed a set of clothes to sleep in for the night, and continued on to the bathrooms, feeling Link starring at the back of her head. Nonetheless, she washed up and came back out in a vulnerable state. She was wearing a tank top and a pair of pants that tied in the front. it wasn't the most ideal thing to wear, but at least it was comfortable. She walked over to their bed and sat down at the end of it, making Link look up from his book. He stared at her once more, but assumed she took no notice as she was turned away from him. He watched as she quickly tied her hair into a braid. That must be what creates her perfect curls. Even when it was wet, it was still perfect.

"Are you ever going to stop starring at me like that?" She asked as she turned to him, after finishing her braid. An amused smirk played on her luscious lips. Everything about her appearance was perfect, but still intimidating. In fact, he was intimidated by her right now. As she looked at him, a blush burned across his cheeks. His mouth was slightly agape with shock that she knew this whole time. "It's okay, I know it's hard to handle my beauty sometimes."

He watched as a glorious laugh escaped her lips. "Why are you laughing?" He asked.

"Because, you're funny."

"How so?"

She starred at him, a bright smile on her lips. "Never mind." Then she continued on with her nightly routine, and he still found himself watching. She was a sight, something like standing at the top of a Sheikah Tower and looking at the new land that stands before you. Even with Calamity Ganon's Malice littering the place, it was still a gorgeous and incredible land. Link could never get tired of adventuring and seeing the new sights the world has to offer. There was always something new and incredible to see, which is why he could never stop exploring.

Before long, she laid down next to him. He still sat up, reading. He didn't sleep much, after all he had been asleep for a hundred years. He wasn't very tired, and with the thought of that blood moon and all the monsters out, he just couldn't. "Goodnight, Link." He heard, and he panicked, which ended up in him not saying anything back. He cursed himself, wondering why he was like this. He was like this with everyone in a sense, but it was worse with Emery. He actually found himself wanting to talk to her, but panicking with the thoughts of not knowing what to say. That resulted in him not saying anything at all, and messing things up. He let out a small, quiet sigh and continued reading.

Emery drifted off into sleep before too long. Her dreams were filled with horror. Within them replayed terrible stories that had occurred to her before. Images of Calamity Ganon haunted her deep sleeps. The thought of him ripping her family and many others to shreds... Well, that didn't sit quite well with her. The images were terrorizing, and they seemed to happen every night, yet she still wasn't use to it... She shot up in a panic, grabbing at her chest as she gasped for air. Link's gentle and comforting- yet urgent- voice filled her ears. "Are you okay?"

"I'm..." She glanced at her surroundings, seeing that she was perfectly fine. "I'm fine."

"Are you sure?" He put a warm hand comfortingly on her bare and cold shoulder. Why was she so cold? He gripped her tightly.

"I believe so, yes." She nodded. Her legs hung off the side of the bed as she sat with her back facing him. She placed her arms around herself, obviously feeling unsafe after her nightmare.

"I get them too, you know.." Link broke the eerie silence between them. He watched as her head lifted a bit from it's bowed position.

"...Get what?" She asked, but she already knew the answer. How did he know it was a nightmare? Her actions could've indicated something other than a simple nightmare, why would he suspect she would react that way to just a simple, stupid nightmare?

"The nightmares. It's okay.. to have them." He said. She knew he was trying to be comforting to the best of his ability, but it was obvious he wasn't very good at it. Still, she appreciated it but she didn't want to talk about it. He watched her nod once. He knew he wasn't doing her much good, but he wanted to. He wanted to help her, so he took the silence to figure out something better to say. "Do you want to talk about it? I don't care to listen."

"No, it's fine." She muttered and returned to her previous state, laying with her back facing him. He chewed his lip as he thought how to help. Eventually, he put his book away since he was no longer reading it anyway. He took his place, laying down beside her. Even if it was a bit awkward for him.

"Would you feel safer... if I did something to-"

She shifted a bit under his touch, tensing when his warmth hit her icy skin. It seemed everything about her was ice cold. Her light blonde hair, the way her eyes shot daggers when she was angry. It was like she was always exhaling clouds of breath. It wasn't her fault, no, but the fact that Calamity Ganon had destroyed everything in her life before she could walk. It was obvious she had an infinite supply of hatred towards him. She wanted revenge. Link didn't believe that was the way to go about it, but he would admit he wanted revenge too. For making ruins of Hyrule, killing as many people as he did- including Emery's family, for killing the Champions, for keeping Zelda captive all these years. He knew so little about everyone and this world, but still he wanted justice. He knew her feeling all to well. Maybe they were quite a deal alike.