The Master Sword

The Koroks danced around the lovely forest. There were even a couple of fairies. Still, both of their eyes laid upon the beautiful Master Sword.

There was no bond like it. Link and his sword had quite a special one. It looked familiar to him, but it was still blurry. He walked up to it, and Emery stood back to watch. This wasn't her place. As he stepped up to it, he placed his hands on it. To her surprise he quickly jumped back.

"Link..." She spoke his name with concern. He turned towards her, his lips in a flat line.

"Zelda spoke to me. I remember more now. She said I was our final hope..."

"Who's there?" They finally heard a loud, booming voice. Yet, it was old and gentle. Link turned towards the Great Deku Tree that spoke gladly to him. "It's you. You've finally decided to return and claim your sword. It's been a hundred years, I was nearly giving up hope on seeing you again."

Link was quiet, as was Emery as they both listened intently.

"Even my patience wears thin, you know? Although, that look on your face tells me you have no recollection of me. I have watched over Hyrule since time immemorial. Many have referred to me over the ages as the Great Deku Tree." He spoke gently. Link glanced to the Master Sword once again.

"That is the weapon created by the ancient Goddess'. The sword that seals the darkness- that only the chosen knight can wield against the Calamity Ganon. Believe it or not, it was actually you who held that sword one hundred years ago. But I must warn you to take extreme caution. The sword stands as a test to anyone who would dare attempt to possess it. As you are now, I cannot say whether you are worthy or not. If you sought to pull the sword in any sort of weakened state, you would surely lose your life where you stand now." He laughed boldly. "Best of luck, young one."

Link actually seems to be frightened as he looked down once again at the intimidating sword.

"If you hope to pull the sword from it's resting place, you must use your true strength. Let us see whether or not you currently possess said power." The Great Deku Tree insisted.

Link stepped up to the sword, and Emery would admit that she was scared for him. Did he possess the power? He'd never said anything to her about it, but would he? She knew she'd been cold enough to him at times where it was sure he wouldn't feel comfortable sharing this kind of information with her. How would he even have any recollection for it? She feared the worst for him, but she had to believe in him. She prayed to Goddess Hylia that he was ready to pull the sword.

He placed his hands tightly on the handle of the sword. He inhaled largely, then began to pull. She watched closely as he did. He let out many huffs and grunts. It was a slow process. It let up bit by bit, and she was beginning to see him falter. She stared at him with frightened eyes. He had to pull that sword...

He let out a loud grunt, showing signs of pain. "Link!" She exclaimed, but stopped dead in her tracks when he released it from the pedestal. He pulled it up, extending it out in front of him. It shined brightly as he did. He held it up directly, bowing his head to it for a second. Then, he pointed it skyward, just as the legends said. He twisted it quickly and precisely, then placed it on his back.

"What you just saw happened before you one hundred years ago." The Deku Tree spoke once more. She wondered what he'd saw. If she asked, would she be intruding too much? "After you were separated from the sword, the princess thought to bring it here where she knew it would be safe under my watch. She continues to fight, trapped deep within the confines of Hyrule Castle. Her heart cascades with faith that you will return. She has a smile like the sun... I would do much to feel it's warmth upon me once again."