Chapter Sixteen: At Last

"The council has been called and the bodies have been cleaned up." My brother reported as Jasper and I got dressed after a shower to clear away the blood.

"The guards that surrendered?" Jasper asked as he pulled on his thick, black boots.

"That Julius guy is taking care of them. The prisoners down there have new friends." Jason smirked.

"The council was nearby so they should be arriving shortly." Jacob told us. "Here is everything you might need in case they want to make this into a big deal." He handed me a file and I gave him a brief nod. The council would want to know why Edgar and Bethany had been killed, considering Edgar was the king.

"Great. Let's hope my trial simulation class pays off." I opened the file. "My other persona's not mentioned."

"Well, we figured keeping that part of you a secret could be an asset one day. Who knows? Somebody might be stupid enough to hire you to kill yourself again." Jason shrugged.

"So the story is just that Edgar hired the assassin and she tipped us off and gave us all her records." I surmised.

"Exactly. The folder also includes the prophecy, the information on Edgar's parents, there's also witness testimony from the guards about everything in that folder. Here's the flashdrive with all digital data, including videos, copies of emails, and photographs." He threw me a flashdrive.

"So a simple open and close case." I nodded. "Okay." There was a knock at the door. "Come in." I called and Julius stuck his head in.

"Excuse me. The council is on their way into the Great Hall. Um, I talked to Felicity and..., she had a small part in Edgar's planning." He said, his head down. "I asked that you not kill her and you gave me my request. She's willing to testify to her part if you'll just stand by your previous words." He looked directly at me.

"Last time, I made that decision alone. This time you need to ask Jasper and I will stand beside his decision as he did mine." I told Julius, looking to Jasper. Jasper set his jaw, narrowing his eyes at Julius.

"The last time I let someone live, I lived to regret it." Jasper said simply and Julius looked like his head had been ripped from his chest. "However," Jasper continued on. "I know the love of a mate and, if she's willing to testify and accept a punishment, I think I can let her live. Especially after you did so much for us."

"Thank you." Julius said, his voice low. He cleared his throat. "Should I escort you guys to the Great Hall?"

"Sure." I sighed. "Let's get this over with."

Julius led us to a room much like the dining room except it had more of a throne room slash courtroom feel to it. Inside, the five members of the council sat as the judges in an appellate court would. The council usually held no power as long as the royals were around. They were just a group of advisors for the most part, unless something happened to the king and queen. Stepping before a bench of older werewolves, specifically there to decide our fate, was slightly uncomfortable.

"So, who here is going to be filling us in?" The woman in the middle of the group asked. She was slight with auburn hair, just showing a few grey hairs. She looked like a high school teacher from almost every cliche movie.

"That would be me." I stepped forward. "I'm Luna Lena Carson." Opening the file, I began from Edgar's threat to us and ended with the prophecy. When I was done, I presented them with the folder.

"And you say you have a witness?" A younger male at the end of the table asked.

"Yes. Queen Felicity." I answered and gave Julius a nod to have her brought in. She stood before the bench in silence.