Ch 3-- I Just Told A Lie

"H-hi, my n-name is Evan Hansen. H-ow are y-you?" He shook his head. "No, th-that's dumb...you sh-should s-say..." He couldn't think of anything to say that would make him seem less nervous. He'd been talking to himself the entire walk over to Cynthia's house. He didn't even know her last name. Should he call her Cynthia or was that rude? Maybe ma'am would be okay?

He checked for cars before he crossed the street and began walking up the long driveway. Evan found himself staring up at a marble white house with more windows than his house had rooms and his jaw dropped. No wonder the pay was so high, these people probably had money coming out their ears!

As if in a trance, he rang the doorbell. Realizing what he did, he began to panic. He still didn't know what he should say when she greeted him! This was a terrible idea, he should just leave now!

The door opened before he could think about stepping off the stoop and a tall woman with red hair and brown eyes smiled down at him.

"You must be Evan! Hi!"

"Evan." he said stupidly. She tilted her head.

"That's your name isn't it?"

"Oh. Yes, yes i-i-it's Evan."

"Okay, Evan, please come in, come in!" She ushered him inside and closed the door. "Would you mind taking your shoes off, Evan? We have white carpet in the drawing room, I never let anyone wear shoes in there." She pointed to a mat that neatly displayed a few pairs of shoes and Evan pulled his off, setting them in an empty space. "Thanks, sweetie."

She started walking down the hall and he quickly followed, not wanting to be left behind. This place was unfamiliar to him and there were many halls that branched off. He could easily get lost and he would not handle that well. They walked into a room.

"Please, sit, Evan, I'm going to grab some drinks. Do you like lemonade?"

He nodded, settling into the corner of a white couch.

She walked out and left Evan alone in the 'drawing room' whatever that was meant to be. The room was practically all white; white couch, carpeting, walls, and even a white painted end table. The room was small, with white framed windows with sheer white curtains. He had no idea how Cynthia was able to keep it so pristine, but it was impressive. The walls had a couple of white framed photos of nature scenes, he noted one of a forest, and another was of the beach. He'd never been to the ocean, but from pictures it looked beautiful.

"Here we are!" Cynthia waltzed back into the room gracefully, carrying a wooden tray with a plate of cookies, a pitcher of lemonade and two glass cups with ice and a wedge of lemon on the side. There was even a small vase with some purple flowers in it. Was this what was rich life was like? Evan wondered. She placed a coaster on the table in front of Evan and one in front of herself, then began pouring. Evan reached for the glass and took a sip.

"Th-this is wonderful, uhm...Ma'am..."

"Oh, please, just Cynthia is fine. No need to be so formal with me. It's not like I'm your boss or anything." she winked at him and Evan felt strangely calm. He found his courage and smiled a bit. "Speaking of being your boss, are you sure you want to do this?"

"Uhm, y-yes. I do. My m-mom..." Evan started, "She works so m-much and I just w-want to help her. If I can help p-pay for even a b-bit of college, th-that would be enough to t-take some of the stress away."

"Oh, you want to go to college?"

Evan nodded.

Cynthia spent the next couple minutes questioning the nervous boy in front of her. She wanted to know what kind of kid he was, but she could already tell, just by the way he spoke of his mother, that he was probably the sweetest person she'd ever meet. And she really hoped that wouldn't be a problem.