Ch 30-Therapy

(Please read the note at the end, it's very important)

***

Evan was finally able to leave the hospital after a few days. His ribs were able to heal, and his bruises began to fade.

While he was sitting in bed all day-they didn't want him to get up too much and risk upsetting his injuries-a psychiatrist would come in and talk to him. Sometimes nurses would be in the room, his mom and Cynthia would visit, and sometimes it would just be him.

"Is this therapy?" Evan asked when Dr Mendel told Evan to talk about anything he wanted. He wasn't used to that, he was used to being forced to open up to people he didn't trust.

"Yes, this is therapy."

Evan nodded. This isn't anything like he was used to, but he kind of liked it. Dr Mendel was fun, he let Evan talk about everything, not just his problems. He never blamed him for thinking things, and always encouraged Evan to be honest.

"Do you like Dr Mendel?" Heidi asked him one night after a session.

"Yeah, I do. He's funny and I feel like I can talk to him."

"Good. I'll make an appointment for you to see him after you leave the hospital. Would you like that?"

Evan nodded.

"Hey mom?"

Heidi turned to face him. "Yeah?"

"When can I see Connor?"

"He still isn't awake yet, honey."

"I know," Evan sighed. "But I want to see him."

"Maybe before we leave tomorrow I'll convince his doctors to let you in to see him."

"Really?" Evan sat up and grinned. "You could do that?"

Heidi smiled.

"I can try my best. I do have some influence here." she said haughtily.

Evan rolled his eyes.

"You work here, mom. You're not some CIA mastermind who can pull a few strings and magically get things to happen like you want."

Heidi gasped, dramatically throwing a hand over her heart.

"You take that back."

Evan laughed.

"Fine, I take it back. I just miss him, mom." He admitted, looking at his lap.

"I know, sweetie. Tomorrow, I'll see what I can do. I promise."

Evan went to bed, trying not to be too hopeful, but really wanting to see Connor.

The next day when Evan woke up, he was greeted with good news.

"You can go see Connor after lunch, right after you check out!" His mom grinned.

Evan grinned, truly excited for the first time since he woke up in the hospital.

It was torture for him to wait all morning to check out. The doctors came in one last time to check on him and make sure he was okay, but other than that he was left alone.

"You ready, Ev?" His mom popped her head inside his room. He'd changed into the clothes she brought him and out of the terrible hospital gown. He was wearing a light and dark blue striped shirt, khaki pants, and black new balance sneakers. This was probably his favorite outfit which was why he asked his mom to pack it for him.

Evan stood, wobbling only slightly before making his way outside. He felt a lot better than he did when he got to the hospital, but he wasn't 100%. He didn't want to let anyone know though in case they made him stay. He'd be fine.