Ch 10--pOPCORN?!

Connor had texted Evan earlier in the day telling him to get a lunch from the cafeteria and bring it to their table.

    Evan did as he ordered, even though he had brought his own lunch. He didn't know why Connor wanted some of...whatever it was they were serving that day, but Evan didn't question it. He just did as Connor said.

    He was looking closer at the tray, piled high with mystery meat and mashed potatoes smothered in gravy, peas, and a carton of milk. Connor had said if Evan brought him the apple juice, he'd be fired.

    It was when Evan wasn't paying attention to where he was walking that something bad happened.

    One of the boys from the parking lot, Ferb Gunner, the most popular guy in school, side-stepped right in front of Evan, causing the tray of mystery meat and gravy to spill all over him.

    Evan gasped, standing frozen to the spot, looking at the tray on the floor. A couple peas fell off his shoulder when he twitched a bit.

    The whole cafeteria was silent, then Ferb started laughing. Soon, everyone joined in. They were all looking at him, laughing and pointing, pulling out phones to take pictures.

    Evan heard someone call his name, and turned, seeing Connor enter the cafeteria. He was looking at the scene with confusion, and that broke Evan out of his trance. He didn't wait around for Connor to either start laughing at him or scold him for making a mess of his lunch, and he left out the second exit of the cafeteria, the one that leads towards the bathrooms.

    Evan pushed the door open, flinging himself into one of the stalls. He closed the door and locked it, leaning against the wall and crying.

    Why did things like this happen to him? All he wanted was to be ignored, be in the background where no one would notice him. How come he always managed to take the spotlight?

    Out of all the jobs he could apply for, how did he happen to get the one that made him be friends with Connor Murphy? Why couldn't he be watching some cute little kid instead of being a slave for a cruel teenager?

    Evan sniffled and wiped his nose on his shirt sleeve. Once he pulled it away, he realized there was a bit of gravy on his shirt sleeve  that he managed to transfer to his nose, making it sticky.

    He started crying harder, to the point that he wasn't making a sound anymore, and was having trouble breathing.

    Evan didn't hear the bathroom door open, and he didn't notice when someone started opening all the doors to the stalls until they came across the locked one.

    "Evan," the voice called. "Evan, can I come in?"

    Evan wasn't able to do anything other than choke out a breath.

    "Hey, are you okay?"

    Evan opened his eyes as Connor Murphy slid under the stall door and sat next to him.

    "Dude, what happened?"

    Connor was looking at him so compassionately that it made Evan start crying again. He reached over and buried his face in Connor's shoulder, clutching at his hoodie and sobbing. Connor put his arms around the smaller boy and just held him, whispering soothing words to calm him down.

    Evan was able to calm down after a few moments, but still stayed in Connor's arms as he tried to steady his breathing.

    "Th-thanks, C-Con-s-sir."

    Connor gave Evan a little squeeze.

    "C'mon, let's get to the nurse." he helped Evan up and unlocked the door, keeping his arm around his shoulder and leading him out.