Ch 7--Lunchtime Blues

The next few days were miserable for Evan.

Connor made him do everything, from homework to fetching him snacks and doing his laundry. Evan didn't know what to do. He couldn't tell anyone, Connor told him what would happen if he did.

Evan was confused about Connor. Sometimes, he was the most ruthless, cruel boy on the planet, and then sometimes, like when Evan was having an anxiety attack, he would comfort him. But the second Evan was fine, he'd push him away and be so mean, Evan thought he imagined the sweet Connor.

He knew Connor could be nice if he wanted, but he seemed to have so much fun being mean.

School was Evan's safe place. Connor wasn't in any of his classes, and Evan was able to just be alone and concentrate on his work. After leaving Connor's house, Evan usually ran home as quick as possible so he could work on his homework, which usually took a couple hours, and by the time he finished, it was time for bed. Somehow he managed to make it work.

Evan looked around the cafeteria, walking towards the back to find an empty table in the corner. He kept his head down, hoping no one would notice him. Most people would think it was pathetic that Evan ate lunch all by himself, but he didn't mind it. He was able to sort of relax because no one was paying any attention to him. Sometimes he would read a book or work on homework. It was his own time to do what he wanted, and he especially appreciated it after a certain tyrant started taking up all of his time.

And then one day, it finally happened.

Evan walked up to his usual table to find someone sitting there. He frowned and turned away, not liking the fact that he'd have to find a new place, but when the figure looked up, he saw it was Connor.

"Where are you going, Evan?"

"Oh! Uhm...I d-didn't realize that w-was you." He said. "Uhm...d-do you want me t-to sit with you?"

Connor nodded shortly.

Evan sat down, bending his head and pulling out a sandwich from his bag. He took a bite, trying to ignore the silent stares from Connor.

He finished the sandwich and sat there stiffly, toying with the plastic wrap that had been wrapped around it. Connor was staring off into space, not doing anything.

"So I'm sure you're wondering what I'm doing here." Connor said, because after ten minutes he realized Evan wasn't going to begin the conversation.

Evan nodded slightly, still not looking at him.

"Well, I figured we are supposed to be friends, so we might as well act like it outside of just my house."

"R-really?" Evan asked, looking at Connor hopefully. He'd never had a real friend before, and he hoped that if Connor wanted to be his friend then he would realize Evan wasn't a bad guy and actually be nice to him. He was about to explain that to him when Connor rolled his eyes and cut him off.

"No, you idiot. My sister mentioned to my mom that we weren't talking during school and she asked me why. We have to keep up appearances for my mother, or else she'll get suspicious. I just want her to leave me alone." Connor rolled his eyes, putting his elbows on the table and resting his head on them.

"Oh. Y-yeah," Evan said, trying to hide how hurt he was. "R-right, of c-course."

"So I guess we have to sit together at lunch now."

"E-every d-day?" Evan blanched.

Connor nodded.

"Why, is that a problem?" He growled.

"N-no!" Evan squeaked. "No, it-it's fine."

"It better be." Connor reached into his bag and pulled out his homework folder. "Here, get started on this now, that way you can do my other chores when we get home."

Evan sighed. So much for having relaxing time to himself...

***

Hey everyone! Sorry this update is short, I've had a super busy week. My schools swing dance club had our showcase last night so I spent most of my free time this week in rehearsal with my partner. This next week should be less busy so I'll try to update by Wednesday again :)

Hope everyone's having a great weekend!

~Hamilfan123987