Ch 27--Evan's Plan

Evan left Connor with some lame excuse about going to say thank you to his mom. He quickly changed his clothes in the bathroom, then hurried to the kitchen where he heard Cynthia humming away.

"Oh, Evan, what are--"

"There's no time." Evan glanced at the doorway. "I have to tell you something but Connor can't know."

"Is everything all right?"

Evan shook his head and launched into the abridged version of what Connor told him this morning. He left out about the part with Ferbs car, because he wasn't sure if Connor would want his mom knowing about that, but at least now she knew enough. The more Evan spoke, the sadder Cynthia looked.

Once he finished his tale, she was silent for a minute. During that minute, Evan panicked. He hadn't been thinking of anything except trying to keep Connor safe, but what if Cynthia hated him for what Connor was doing to protect him? It was all Evan's fault anyway. She should be upset with him. But what if she didn't go along with his plan? Then what would he do? Was he going to be fired?

"Oh, Evan, I'm so sorry, honey," She wrapped him in a hug before letting go. "You did the right thing by telling me. I know that you're probably thinking I'm upset with you, but I'm not. This isn't anyone's fault except that terrible boys, okay?"

Evan nodded, not because he believed it, but because time was important.

Cynthia rolled her eyes fondly at him.

"We'll talk about that later. First, we need to figure out what to do. Where are they meeting?"

"I'm not sure, some park, I think."

"Can we just tell him that I know about this and maybe he won't go?"

"No!" Evan blurted out. "No, he was adamant that I didn't tell anyone. Oh, but I just didn't know what to do. I had to. He's going to hate me, how will he trust me..." Evan whispered to himself. What has he done?

"Evan, no. Don't think about that, okay? Once this is over, you and Connor can talk it out, right? He'll understand. He's a good kid."

"You...you're right." Evan took a deep breath. "He said he's going to drop me off at my house, then head on over to where Ferb is."

"Okay, so what if you go on with him, let him drop you off, and then I'll follow him to your house to get you. We'll head to the park and I'll call the police on the way there, and they'll be there before things turn ugly."

Evan couldn't help himself. He grinned at Cynthia's plan.

"You're not going to try to keep me home?"

Cynthia smiled.

"Would I really be able to?"

Evan just laughed.

They planned a couple minor details, stopping when Connor appeared, asking if Evan was ready. He nodded and they got into his car and drove to Evans house, staying silent the whole way. He was trying to find a way to convince Connor to not go.

"I know this probably won't help, but I'm going to ask one more time that you come inside with me and we can figure something out. There's no need to do this."

Connor just shook his head.

"I can't." he rasped. Evan felt terrible that this was what he was dealing with. He shouldn't have to.

"Okay. Well...I love you." Evan said, giving Connor a quick kiss before heading inside his house.

He was instantly greeted by his mother.