Ch 6--Breaking the Rules

The next day, Evan walked to the Murphy's after school like Connor said to. He still wasn't sure how he felt about Connor. Every time he tried to think about him, Zoe's warnings popped into his head and he tried to ignore it, because he wanted to have his own opinion of Connor, but the more time he spent with him--and he'd only known him for two days--the more he realized Zoe might be right.

    Evan knocked on the door and waited for someone to open it. The door swung open of its own accord; there was no one there to greet him.

    "Uhm...hello?" he called timidly to the empty hall. He stepped inside and when he looked to the left, someone yelled "BOO".

    Evan screamed and dropped to the floor and curled up in a ball, hyperventilating. He really hoped no one was going to kill him when he was in this vulnerable state. He heard someone laughing and uncovered his face. Connor was standing over him, folded in half he was laughing so hard.

    "Th-that...that was the b-best reaction EVER! Even better than Zoe, and I thought sh-she was jumpy!" Connor took a deep breath and finally saw Evan. Connor rolled his eyes, thinking he was just being a baby. But he looked closer. He was shaking like a leaf, and tears were pouring down his face. Connor felt terrible. He forgot that Evan was so sensitive and whatever. Anxiety, his mom had mentioned. Connor had looked up some ways to help people deal with anxiety attacks, like his mom had suggested and decided to try it out since Evan was currently hyperventilating on his floor.

    He knelt down and put his hand on Evan's shoulder. Evan flinched, but instantly relaxed under his touch.

    "Hey, Evan, I'm sorry, buddy. I...I didn't realize..." He helped pick him up and set him on his feet. Evan sniffled and tried to steady his breathing. As soon as he was okay, he knelt down to untie his shoes and set them neatly on the mat.

    "Let's go to my room." He said.

    Evan followed him upstairs, feeling a little bubble of hope that maybe Connor did like him and would be nice to him. He helped him up and was very compassionate. Maybe he was going to be nice now.

    They got to Connor's room, and Connor shoved his bag into Evan's arms.

    "Here, go through it and get started on my homework." He said, jumping on his bed and grabbing his laptop from the night table and opening it.

    Okay. Maybe not.

    "Oh...uhm...b-but I thought, your mom, she, she s-said I wasn't supposed to-"

    Connor glared at him.

    "Oh please, it doesn't matter what my mom did or didn't say. She hired you for me, to help me, and to do what I say. I'm the boss here, and that means you have to do what I say." Connor stood up and marched over, standing directly in front of Evan, staring down at him. "Got it?"

    Evan quivered under his stare and dropped his gaze, mumbling something before sliding his own bag off his back and opening up Connors.

    Connor smiled, satisfied for the moment with his little servant boy. He resisted the urge to pat Evan's head and went back to watching tv on his laptop.

    Evan pulled out the desk chair and sat down, pulling a couple folders and notebooks from the bag.

    "What are you doing?" Connor questioned.

    "Uhm...y-your homework?" Evan said, it was a question.

    "Why are you sitting at my desk?"

    "Uhm...w-well, I-I just th-thought-"

    "Did you ask me if you could sit there?" Connor didn't even glance up from his show.