Ch 13--Makeover

The next day, Connor walked up to Ferb in the cafeteria.

"Meet me after detention today in the alley. You're gonna pay." Connor hissed.

Ferb laughed.

"What, you gotta protect your little boyfriend?" he asked.

"Shut the f*ck up, you little-"

"Are you scared? Why don't we just meet after class, Murphy? Neither of us have detention."

"Because I'm about to."

"What?"

Connor pulled his arm back and punched Ferb straight in the face. Ferb's head snapped back and he went down.

"Shit, Murphy!" He stood and tried to throw a punch at Connor, but the smirking boy was being pulled back by teachers, and Ferb was also being restrained.

The whole cafeteria was watching with interest as Connor was dragged away from the crowd.

"That's for Evan, you little piece of-"

"CONNOR!" Mr Reyes shouted. "You already have two hours of detention, and if you finish that sentence, you're looking at a suspension."

Connor scowled and allowed himself to be dragged to the chair right next to Reyes's.

"You're to stay here for the remainder of the period." Reyes said, handing him the orange detention slip. Connor grabbed it and shoved it into his pocket.

"C-Connor!" Evan managed to push his way through the crowd that was dispersing and heading back to their seats. "W-what happened?"

"Nothing." he grumbled.

"Connor physically assaulted another student." Mr Reyes said, keeping his nose in the book he was reading.

"WHAT?!" Evan shrieked.

Connor looked over and glared at the teacher. He just ignored Connor.

"It wasn't that bad."

Ferb, accompanied by a different teacher, limped out of the cafeteria, presumably to the nurse. Ferb was clutching a bloody nose and telling the teacher some sob story. Connor chuckled as the pitiful boy was ushered to the nurse.

Evan sat down across from Connor. He flexed his fingers which had already started to turn red.

"You shouldn't have d-done that." Evan said in a low voice, taking Connor's hands and brushing his fingers over the bruising. Connor sighed.

"I know but-"

"Y-you told me you weren't going to do anything." Evan said, voice shaking.

"I crossed my fingers behind my back." Connor muttered, looking away from Evan's eyes which were looking at him with innocence and tenderness.

Evan scoffed.

"That's so childish." he said, but he was trying to suppress a laugh. He met Connor's eyes and suddenly burst into laughter. Connor joined in, eventually quieting down and just smiling at Evan.

They talked quietly for a few minutes until Mr Reyes looked up.

"Evan Hansen?" Evan kept his face hidden under his hat, but looked over at the teacher. "I didn't know you could make a sound other than stuttering." he commented, then shrugged and continued his book. Evan blushed. Connor clenched his fists, looking like he wanted to give the teacher the same black eye he'd given Ferb, but Evan put his hand on Connor's arm and shook his head.

Connor took a deep breath and let it out.

Evan gave him a small smile, adjusting his hat.

Connor reached into his bag and pulled something out.

"Ev, give me your hand, under the table." Connor whispered, looking at Reyes. Evan tilted his head, but did as Connor said, frowning when Connor gave him a cold, metal container. He went to bring it to his face and inspect it, but Connor hissed at him, shaking his head. "Put it in your pocket," he mouthed. Evan did as instructed. "Now go to the bathroom." Without hesitating, Evan did as Connor said.

A couple moments later, Connor got up.

"Where are you going, Mr Murphy?" Reyes asked without looking up.

"I need to use the restroom, sir, is that all right?" Connor asked meekly, looking at the floor. He was trying his best Evan impression, minus the stuttering, and he thought he was doing pretty well. Reyes seemed shocked, and just nodded. "Thank you, sir." Connor said. He debated about giving a little bow but realized how extra that would be, so he rushed to the bathroom. He found Evan by one of the mirrors.

"It's makeup?" Evan asked, looking at the tube of foundation in confusion.

"Yeah, I thought it would help with the bruising." Connor said. He walked over to Evan and gently removed the hat from his head. Evan's hair was sticking up adorably, and Connor longed to run his fingers through it, but Evan was looking at him funny so he shook his head.

"Right, I'll show you what to do." Connor taught Evan how to apply the foundation to his eye, being careful not to put too much pressure on the bruise.

"H-how do you know so much about m-makeup?" Evan asked while Connor was putting on the finishing touches.

"Uhm...my sister." he said. Zoe, a few years ago when they were still friends, always used him as a model, which led him to having the pointless knowledge of how to figure out what foundation works for your skin tone, or how to put on fake eyelashes, or what eye shadow color looks best with your eyes. Although this knowledge didn't seem so useless now...

"Ah." Evan said. Connor handed him the foundation and Evan looked at him curiously.

"You keep it. You'll need it until the bruise is gone."

Evan hesitated.

"Come on, it's not like I stole it from Zoe. This one is new, and just for you." Connor said, being 100% truthful. He'd gone to the store yesterday and picked up the one that he thought would match Evan's skin best. He'd gotten some weird looks, standing in the makeup aisle by himself, clothed in his all black attire, but he just glared at anyone who glanced his way and they quickly moved along.

"Th-thanks." Evan said, putting it in his pocket. He also shoved his hat in his back pocket. "Guess I d-don't need th-that anymore, either."

Evan went to walk out of the bathroom, but Connor started laughing.

"Wait!" he called.

Evan turned around.

"Come back here." Evan's hair was still crazy. He'd get laughed at if he walked outside like that.

Evan stood in front of Connor and Connor tousled his hair, brushing it back so it laid down flat. Evan's eyes widened and found Connor's. Both boys stared at each other for a few moments before Evan looked down, face bright red. Connor's own face was also feeling warm.

"There." Connor said, his voice cracking. He cleared his throat, lowering his voice a bit. "Now we can go..." he said.

The boys returned to the cafeteria, keeping a bit more distance between them than they normally would have.

Evan was no longer confused. He might like both boys and girls, but he knew without a doubt that he was falling for Connor. I mean, who wouldn't fall for the boy who punched the guy who beat you up? That could be the plot to a (really cheesy) romance book.

He was glad that he and Connor could be friends now.

Maybe this wouldn't be such a terrible year after all...

***

Hi everyone! So I had some time this week, now that school is finally over and I was able to write this kinda short chapter. Hope you enjoy it. I'll have another one on Sunday still, I hope :p

~hamilfan123987