Ch 24--The Storm

After dinner, the boys got ready for bed. It was Friday and there was no school tomorrow, but they were both exhausted.

Mrs Murphy set up the guest room for Evan again but he was nervous. The weather was raging outside, pounding loudly against the house. Even from the room, Evan could hear the rain beating against the roof. He was nervous it might begin to thunder. He hated thunder. It always came out of nowhere, first a bolt of lightning that lit up the entire room, casting creepy shadows on the walls, then a loud crash. He hated when it stormed. He usually stayed awake all night when it was like this.

He was very tired, so he ended up falling into a fitful sleep, only to wake up screaming when a loud clap of thunder shook the house.

The door opened and someone appeared, their shadow illuminated by a flash of lightning. Evan screamed again and thrashed around the bed, trying to find a way to get out.

"Evan, Evan, calm down, please." The person soothed, calmly walking to the bedside with his hands outstretched.

Evan opened his eyes to see Connor, not a monster or a bad guy come to abduct him. He relaxed instantly, still breathing hard.

Connor looked at the bed questioningly before Evan held the covers up so Connor could hop in.

Connor laid down next to Evan, just being near him but not touching him. He wasn't sure what Evan wanted in this situation.

After a few minutes he started drifting back to sleep when he heard whimpering from the other side of the bed after another crash of thunder.

"Ev, it's okay, I promise." Evan wiggled so he was pressed against Connors side. Connor smiled and put his arm around him, holding him close. Evan relaxed at his touch and moved so he could lay his head on Connors chest. He sighed contentedly and almost instantly fell asleep.

Connor wished he could do the same.

After a couple hours of watching over Evan, the rain slowed, the thunder moved on, and he sighed.

"Evan, I wish there was something I could do, some way that I could take back what I said, because I would. I'd think of a way to make it work, even with Ferb's threats." He looked down at the peaceful boy, drooling happily on his shirt, a small smile on his lips. Connor bent down and kissed his hair. "I'm still going to protect you, no matter what, my precious Tree Boy." Connor got comfortable and closed his eyes, finally falling asleep.

***

The next morning, Connor woke up to the light in his eyes. His bedroom had dark curtains over the window so he didn't see the sun, but the guest room didn't have that. He groaned and sat up, taking Evan, who was still sleeping on his chest, with him.

"Huh?" Evan fell to the side but caught himself, sitting up and blinking blearily. "What's g-going on?" He rubbed his eyes before focusing on Connor. "Good morning." he said sheepishly.

"'Morning, Ev." Connor smiled back. Evan leaned back to stretch, yawning before covering his mouth. Connor laughed. "Sleep well?"

Evan nodded.

"Best I've ever slept during a storm." He admitted.

"Good."

"So...I think we're overdue for that talk." Evan said. He adjusted the blankets around them and looked at Connor expectantly.

"Okay, but I don't know how well you're going to react..."

"Why? What happened?"

"Well, it's about Ferb, and you and me."