Ch 12--Felling the Tree(boy)

(Okay so this is where it gets a little dark...I'm sorry. Tw: abuse)

Evan gasped and crawled backwards in fear. Ferb sauntered towards him until Evan felt a wall behind him and couldn't move back any farther.

He had no place to go, no way to escape.

He felt his heart rate increase and he started breathing fast but he tried his hardest to focus on Ferb. He needed to pay attention if he wanted to escape.

"Evan Hansen." Ferb sang. "I've heard a lot about you recently."

Evan just gulped. What does that mean?

"Aw, you don't get it, huh?" Ferb cooed, looking at Evans confused face. "How cute. Let me break it down for you. Your friend Jared? Yeah, he told me all about how you get paid to be Connor's little bitch." Evan gasped. Jared told him that? "He told me how you have to do his homework and how you go over to his house everyday, and that you're basically his slave." He smirked. "Probably in more ways than one, fag."

Evan felt his face heat up. How could Jared do that to him?

"And I heard you two talking today. I heard him say you have to do exactly as he says, and I heard the "cute little nickname" he has for you, Tree Boy." Ferb sneered. Evan flinched. This was so wrong, all of it. Ferb took a step closer, reaching down and pulling Evan to his feet by his collar. Evan yelped as Ferb pushed him against the lockers, sticking his face in Evan's. He tried not to flinch as Ferb's bad breath blew all over his face.

"I'm going to make your life hell." He threatened, his voice low. "And you're not gonna tell anybody, got it? No parents, no teachers, not that pathetic weasel Jared, and definitely not Connor Murphy."

"J-Jared says y-you're scared of C-Connor." Evan's brain thought would be a good thing for his mouth to say. Ferb clenched his jaw and slammed Evan against the locker again. Evan winced.

"I'm not scared of anybody." He roared. "Especially not that gay stoner Murphy. He's a loser, and I could take him any day!"

But Evan could see that Ferb's eyes spoke a different story. The second Evan had mentioned Connor, his eyes took on a wild look, frantically scanning the halls as if making sure speaking his name hadn't made Connor appear.

"Enough talking, loser." Ferb grabbed Evan by the back of neck and began dragging him down the hall. "Now my fists are going to do the talking. But I can't beat you up in the school. Someone might see."

Beat him up?

Evan had never been beat up before. He thought Ferb was just going to scare him, maybe make him do his homework.

Evan wanted to fight it, to resist and break away from Ferb's grip, but he was too strong and Evan was paralyzed with fear. He pulled Evan out the front door and brought him to a back alley behind the school, behind the dumpsters, where no one would think to look for him.

He threw Evan forward, and Evan tripped and fell, scraping his hands. He whimpered, and Ferb laughed.

A bunch of boys emerged from behind the dumpster and from around the back corner. Evan scrambled backwards, trying to get away, but they blocked all his exit points. There were about six boys, plus Ferb. Evan looked at all of their faces as they loomed over him, trying to find one face that might take pity on him.

"Uh, all right, guys. You got him. That's enough now." Someone new emerged from around the corner, and Evan saw Jared try to break up the circle around him. He breathed a sigh of relief, Jared would help him, or he could get help.