Life or Death

Suggested by: 

*buzz buzz*

Alec rolled over to grab his phone off the bedside table. Through squinty, sleepy eyes, he read the message. 

Need you at the institute, Valentine's demon. - Izzy

Magnus sighed next to him, "Gotta go?" he asked. 

"Yeah, Valentine apparently has a demon on the loose," Alec replied, already rolling out of bed and dressing in his gear. 

"Go, do your badass shadowhunter stuff. I'm not going anywhere," Magnus said, sitting up. He beckoned Alec over and pecked his lips softly. "Be careful out there," the warlock whispered seriously. 

"I will," Alec replied, kissing Magnus once more before leaving. 

Magnus fell back to sleep when Alec left. He was awoken by a text. He picked up his phone and read the message, it was from Jace. 

SOS - Alec.

"Shit," Magnus swore before jumping out of bed and portaling to the institute. 

Magnus pounded on the institute doors. Izzy let him in. She couldn't help but stare at the warlock. He didn't have any makeup on, his hair was down, and he was wearing plain gray sweatpants and a faded black sweater, both of which were Alec's. "Where is he? Is he okay?" Magnus asked, obviously concerned. 

"Come on, I'll take you to him," Izzy replied softly. Her voice, if anything, made Magnus worry more. She was being too calm. The two walked through the doors to the infirmary. Alec was there, laying completely still on a bed. "The silent brothers had to put him in a coma. It was the only way to keep him from..." Izzy trailed off, refusing to say what almost happened. 

"Get out," Magnus whispered, tears beginning to burn his eyes. Nobody moved. "I said GET OUT!" the warlock boomed. Everyone quickly dispersed from the room. Without any distractions, Magnus held Alec's hand. "I told you to be careful, Alexander." Suddenly and fervently, Magnus began using his magic to heal Alec. Blue sparks flew from his fingertips. He began to pant, sweat running in beads down his face, as he worked to heal Alec. He could feel his power and energy draining. A few minutes later, he heard Alec gasp, but Magnus' world had gone black. 

"Mags, please wake up." Magnus knew that voice, Alec's. Suddenly, he was able to open his eyes. Alec's face filled his view. "Magnus! You're okay. I thought I lost you." 

Magnus suddenly remembered what happened. He shot up in bed, "Alexander, are you okay? You almost died, I healed you, then... then I was here. What happened? How did I get here?" he rattled off, realizing he wasn't in the infirmary anymore. Alec pushed him back into a laying position. 

"I'm fine, Magnus. You healed me, but it drained you until you almost died. I woke up just as you collapsed. Now you're in my room in the institute. I carried you here after you collapsed," Alec filled him in. 

Magnus looked down at his hands. One was being held by Alec. He realized why he woke up, "You gave me your strength," he said with a smile. 

Alec smiled back, "You used all of yours on me, I figured I owed you." Magnus cupped his cheek with his free hand and pulled him towards him for a kiss. "Are you going to be okay?" Alec asked.

Magnus nodded, "I just need to rest, gain my energy back." Alec nodded in understanding. "Are you finished for the day?" 

"I'm done for now. Jace might want to train, or there might be another demon to fight, though." 

"Stay here with me, just for a little while at least," Magnus suggested, making room for Alec in the bed. Alec smiled and stripped his gear until he was just in his boxers, then climbed into the bed with Magnus. Magnus cuddled into Alec, using his arm as a pillow. "I love you, Alexander," Magnus whispered. 

"I love you too, Magnus." 

Just as Magnus closed his eyes, there was knock at the door. "Alec? How's Magnus?" It was Jace. 

"Umm, he's okay now," Alec answered back. 

"Good, can I come in?" 

"No!" Alec and Magnus shouted in unison. They both looked at each other before bursting into laughter.