Moving In? Part 3

After watching last week's episode of Shadowhunters, I kinda felt bad how much of a bitch I made Maryse in the last part, so here's another one. It gets sort of cheesy at the end... sorry.

Magnus brought in Alec a glass of wine, then settled on the couch next to the shadowhunter.

"I thought maybe you'd need this," Magnus smiled.

Alec gave him a thankful smile in return as he took the glass. Magnus sat next to him and ran his fingers through Alec's hair.

"Are you okay?" Magnus asked.

"I'm fine, Mags. I have everything I want."

"Except a good mother."

"Right," Alec said softly.

A few days later, Alec was completely moved in. Jace, Clary, Isabelle, and even Simon came to see him and help him move in. For Magnus, Ragnor, Dot, and Catarina all stopped by to say hello. Alec wasn't sure if he was happy or not that Maryse had decided to keep her distance.

As she was leaving, Isabelle hugged Alec tightly.

"I'm sorry about mom," she said.

"I knew she'd be pissed. It's fine, Izzy."

"I'm going to talk to her, okay?"

"You don't have—" Alec began, but Isabelle ignored him and hugged Magnus before leaving.

A couple days later, Magnus and Alec were sitting down for dinner when the doorbell rang.

"I've got it," Alec said. He walked over and opened the door. Maryse was on the opposite side. "Mom?" Alec said in shock.

"I just wanted to say that I'm— I'm sorry," Maryse said.

"What?" Alec said, still shocked.

"You're happy. That's all that should matter to me. Magnus is good to you, and you're good for him. I see that now. You two are just like how your father and I once were. Alec, don't make the same mistakes we did. Don't put yourself through the pain I'm going through, okay?"

"Thanks Mom," Alec said softly as he hugged Maryse tightly.

Magnus could hear everything from where he stood. With a smile, he slowly and nonchalantly walked into the room.

"Oh, Maryse, what are you doing here?" he asked pleasantly.

"Magnus, I need to apologize to you, too. My behavior toward you was unjustified and uncalled for. You make my son happy. I've never seen him look at anyone like he looks at you."

"Apology accepted, my dear," Magnus said.

They invited Maryse to have dinner with them. She accepted. The dinner went smoothly. Maryse realized, through pleasant conversation, that she actually came to like Magnus. When it was time for her to go, Maryse hugged Alec.

"Oh, and Magnus, just know, I will not hesitate to send my daughter after you if you ever hurt my son," Maryse threatened. Magnus could tell she was kidding, but serious at the same time.

"I would never think of hurting Alexander," Magnus looked at Alec, "he means everything to me."

To everyone's surprise, Maryse gave Magnus a big smile and wrapped her arms around him in a hug before leaving. Magnus shut the door behind her and turned to face Alec, who had a huge smile on his face.

"She actually accepts our relationship," he said.

"I know. I thought she'd never come around."

"I wouldn't have cared if she accepted our relationship, not really, but I was done with her always hating you."

Magnus smiled at Alec. "This. This is why I love you. You never put yourself ahead of the people you love."

"Who would I be, without the people I love? You, Izzy, Jace, Mom, Clary, even Simon sometimes, you're all my family. You and they mean the entire world to me."

"Thank you, Alexander. You are the only person I have ever truly, truly loved."

(A/N: Can anyone tell me if the line "Who would I be, without the people I love?" is almost a quote from something, like this, "Who would I be, for not the people I love / love me?" It sounds familiar to me.)