Something Different

Reborn was frustrated. Dino had called him, which was already unusual on its own.

However, the alarm bells in his head truly started ringing when he had picked up and heard Dino's scratchy voice and erratic breathing.

It had caused the hitman to panic internally.

As such, he was now on the fastest plane to Italy, after telling Tsuna to train on his own, of course.

He would never admit it, but in that moment all he had felt was panic and worry.

He did not know when or what had actually spurred on his actions, but he had eventually acknowledged Dino as one of his skies, vowing to protect him with his own life.

Reborn was so flustered that upon reaching Dino's estate, he immediately burst into his room, only to find him still sobbing in a corner.

"Speak up Dame-Dino. You'd better have a good reason for me to fly all the way here from Japan."

The blond continued to sob, but eventually calmed down enough to speak.

Reborn tapped his feet impatiently, concern causing his flame to flicker erratically.

"Well?"

"That man..." Dino took a deep breath.

"-Kawahira, was it? He came to my dreams and told me and three other skies that we were candidates for the Sky Pacifier. The night flames were rejected."

Reborn was stunned.

The flames were...rejected?

He felt a cold fear seep in, not just for Dino, as well as his Dame student back in Japan.

"Was Dame-Tsuna one of them?"

Dino shook his head and Reborn felt a rush of relief.

One student was tiring enough, he wasn't sure that he would be able to handle both of his students being selected.

Sighing, Reborn pat Dino on the back awkwardly. He wasn't very good at comforting someone after all.

Still, Dino seemed to appreciate tiny gesture and did something he usually wouldn't have done to the dangerous hitman.

He picked Reborn up and sobbed in his suit.

But Reborn didn't say a word, merely allowing his student to cry.

It wasn't long until Dino had exhausted all his tears and fell back asleep.

You'll pay for that once you wake up, Dame-Dino. Reborn smirked slightly before asking Romario, who was stationed outside to put Dino to bed.

He would have to discuss the pacifier situation when his idiot student woke up once more as well.

---

Reborn had pulled out his Leon gun and almost shot when he felt a hand poking his sides.

He was still in infant form after all, and babies should get enough sleep.

A screech was heard and Reborn opened a single eye.

Dino cleared his throat and after confirming that Reborn wasn't about to shoot, spoke up.

"Kawahira visited me in our dreams again. He told me that the pacifier was fine and that it had started consuming night flames again."

He summarized quickly, his hands still in a surrender gesture.

Reborn immediately blinked the last traces of sleepiness away.

"I'll be going back to Japan then." He informed, pointedly ignoring Dino's wistful sigh.

The hitman would have relented and stayed, had he not have to visit a certain Iron-Faced Man....

---

When Reborn arrived in Namimori again, he felt a chill go up his spine. Something akin to dread had settled upon his stomach. His intuition, honed after many battles, was ringing as well.

Perhaps I've been too stressed lately... He thought, staring at the Sawada residence.

A stress reliever?

Hit Dame-Tsuna and call it training.

Yet when he saw his student lying on his bed with sweat pooling the sheets, he couldn't help but feel worried.

Tsuna's face was pale and his skin was boiling hot...

In fact, it had been Nana who had informed him of his student's illness. The brunet hadn't been conscious enough to tell Reborn himself.

Watching silently, the infant saw the brunet placed a hand over his closed eyes and groaning out muttered words that sounded hauntingly similar to 'prophecy' and 'cursed'.

Reborn frowned, kicking his student lightly and pretending to be oblivious to how hot the boy's skin was.

"Ooi Dame-Tsuna? What's wrong?"

He didn't even notice the worry that had seeped into the sentence.

"O-Oh...Reborn? I just caught a slight bug that's all... I'll be fine." Tsuna choked out with a great amount of effort, attempting to smile at the hitman.

Reborn raised an eyebrow but left Tsuna alone, ignoring his ringing intuition.

He was sure Dame-Tsuna was just unable to cope with the sudden increase of training.

Tsuna will be fine.

He's strong.

After informing Mama of Tsuna's illness, he left the house.

He still had someone to look for, after all.

---

Reborn scowled as he stepped out of the traditional house, slamming the door behind him.

Checkerface had been useless, refusing to give any details as to what had exactly happened.

Apparently the Sky Pacifier was fine once again, but the hitman was sure that he was lying.

He left it alone though. After all, he wasn't  so keen to go marching to the Vindice to find out.

---

Tsuna had apparently recovered from his 'illness' a few days later and was up and about again.

Yet the hitman could sense something different about him. He no longer tried his hardest during training, choosing to depend on his guardians for protection and was even more whiny.

Things took a turn for the worse and eventually, everyone had distanced themselves from him.

Even Reborn.

In a span of 2 months, the first part of Tsuna's plan was complete.

Distance yourself from your loved ones.

*edited on 26.12.17*
*edited on 03.04.18*
*edited on 18.08.18*