Chapter Three.

~O~

Niall was getting a little hot, standing in the sun, but it was okay because he was getting sweaty for a good cause, also known as a girl, and a very pretty one at that.

He was in the courtyard outside of one of his classrooms, class had just ended, and the girl, who was in his class (art history, he needed it for general requirements), had stopped to chat him up while he was making his way out of the room.

Of course, he wasn’t one to pass up talking to a fit girl, so, being a gentleman, began to talk back. The conversation wasn’t all too interesting- she was talking about some party later that week- but he had received an invitation to said party, and she was going to be there, so if talking and sweating a bit was enough to get him some, well, he’d do it.

“Aw, you’re so cute!” the girl, Madison, cooed at him after he apologized for his stomach grumbling loudly- he was hungry okay?- and he winced internally at that.

Cute.

He was always just cute.

The cute blonde one who liked to eat and laugh and smile.

He kind of detested the word, especially because he couldn’t do anything about it and it was almost as if he was destined forever to be the cute best friend to girls.

He was tired of this status, and his left hand was tired of wanking, but not even going to the gym would get him out of the cute status- and just last week he was thinking he had lost some of his baby chub.

He didn’t understand how Liam did it. All he had to do was just smile and ripple his arm muscles a bit and the girls just flocked around him, impressed by his body and charming, sweet personality. Girls even seemed to like Louis and Harry more than they did him, which Niall didn’t seem to understand because those two were about as straight as Harry’s curls and not too stealthy about hiding it.

Maybe he was just destined to be alone.

He had gone back to listening to Madison speak now (he was really just staring at her lips), and she was in the middle of some story when she paused suddenly.

And then, “Hey babe!”

Niall shook himself out of his daydream with a muttered, “huh,” and saw that Madison wasn’t even looking at him anymore, instead looking behind him with a sort of hungry gaze at whoever she had been talking to.

Of course, it would be just his luck to find that the boy she was talking to happened to be none other than-

“Ah, Madison, I see you’ve met my darling roommate,” a low voice murmured, and yeah, Niall wasn’t shocked, or pleased, to find Zayn sidling up next to him, throwing an arm around his shoulders before leaning in to kiss Madison on the cheek, all the while holding Niall close to his side.

Zayn pinched his side, gripping his waist harder when he tried to push off the dark-haired lad’s arm, and smirked at him before throwing a wink and a sultry smile at the pretty girl standing in front of them.

“Yes, he’s quite adorable don’t you think?” Madison was cooing again, and she stepped forward to pinch his cheek. Niall turned red, partly because he was embarrassed and partly because well, she had just pinched his cheek.

“Yes, he is adorable,” Zayn responded cheekily, grinning at Niall in a way that made it so obvious that he knew what Niall was attempting, and failing, at doing with Madison. “You should see him when he wakes up, all bleary eyed and hair all mussed, demanding I cook for him before falling into my side, asking for a back rub.”

What Zayn was describing was complete utter bullshit and both of them knew it, however, Madison had no idea and was eating up every word of what Zayn had said, and now looking at Niall with the ‘aw, you’re so cute, let’s just cuddle’ face (also known as the there’s-no-way-I-would-fuck-you-because-you-are-so-cute face).