Chapter Five.

~O~

“Ugh,” Niall groaned as light hit his eyelids, seeping below his skin to the eyeballs underneath. It was too bright, much too bright and it fucking hurt. In fact, everything hurt- his body, his head, his brain- and the only things that didn’t hurt were his balls, which was surprising because he had been waking up day in and day out with a bad case of blue balls.

“Good morning sleeping beauty!” Zayn called out, and Niall opened his eyes blearily to find his roommate fully dressed, standing above him with a cup of coffee in hand.

He sat up, wincing as his head spun, and glanced down only to find his shirt off and pants unbuckled (he slept in his jeans?), and love bites on the edge of his hip.

What the hell?

Suddenly, with a rush of nausea and remembrance Niall sprung off the couch with surprising agility and rushed to the bathroom, puking as he remembered what had happened the night before.

He rinsed his mouth out, feeling quite a bit better, and washed his face off with cool water, buying time before he had to face his roommate.

Typical Zayn, though, decided he had waited long enough for Niall to wake up, and appeared in the doorway, thrusting the cup of coffee forward.

Niall stared because what even was happening if Zayn ‘badboy’ Malik was giving him coffee, and shit, he almost had half a mind to sleep with Zayn if this was how he would act the morning after. Of course, he wouldn’t actually, but seriously, who was this bloke and where was his roommate?

“You know, it couldn’t have been that bad,” Zayn commented, raising his dark brows in a question Niall would never answer, and there, yeah, there was his trademark smirk. “You came quick enough.”

Niall groaned, grabbing the coffee from Zayn’s hand, spilling a bit over the edges and not caring as it splashed on the floor. He lifted it to his lips, and after taking a scalding sip, was surprised to find the coffee exactly how he liked it.

Niall eyed Zayn suspiciously, a little unsure of what the other bloke was attempting to accomplish with this act of kindness, but Zayn chose that moment to turn away, walking across the flat and grabbing his favorite leather jacket from a hook on the wall.

“See ya later, Nialler!” Zayn called cheerily over his shoulder with a wink.

Oh lord, what had he done?

~O~

Zayn’s niceties failed to last more than that morning though, and now, three days later, Niall was on the verge of ripping his hair out, or Zayn’s quiff, yeah, preferably Zayn’s quiff.

It had been constant arguing for the past 72 hours, and this, this was the last straw.

“Oi, what happened to the sandwiches in the fridge?” Niall asked, stomping to the living room, where Zayn was sitting on the couch, popping the last of the sandwiches into his mouth.

“Oops,” Zayn mumbled around the mouthful of food. He didn’t seem sorry at all, if the twinkle in his eyes indicated anything.

Niall could feel it, the pent up anger and resentment bubbling up inside of him, and he was losing it, fast. He could put up with the clothes borrowing, and the deodorant using, even the shampoo and laundry detergent, but stealing his food? No.

Absolutely fucking not.

Zayn seemed to sense his building rage and was looking at him a little curiously, as if he didn’t think Niall would do anything about it, and he hadn’t, previously, letting it go because the dark-haired boy helped pay the rent every month and it was only until the end of the semester.